Best phone orientation for compass readings

Last Updated:

1. cromag_rickmanus

cromag_rickmanus Member This Topic's Starter

I've noticed that I get a slightly different reading from the compass depending on how I hold the phone. If I hold it vertically, its different than when I hold it horizontal (ie parallel to a table or floor). Does anyone know the most accurate way to hold the phone for the compass??
    Thank you in advance,
    Dan

Advertisement
  2. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

I'm not sure most accurate but I would think it's simply holding the phone as normal vertically :)

3. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

I also have wondered this. Spose the only way to find out for real is to have a normal compass as well and compare them so if anybody can do this can they post the outcome here :D Thanks

4. powrful1

powrful1 Well-Known Member

The best orientation I have found is with the top of the phone facing the direction you are pointing, with the phone horizontal. This has been backed up with compass. Any other orientation and the compass may be close but won't be on. Which is funny considering now that they added compass inputs to google maps navigation, when in car dock it will show the wrong direction until you start moving. Google needs to program a correction when in the dock.

5. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Cool...thanks :)

6. cromag_rickmanus

cromag_rickmanus Member This Topic's Starter

That's the response I was waiting for :) Thank you! I thought it would probably be a lot like a standalone compass, which must me held horizontally, but I thought maybe the magnometer had been installed in some other configuration to allow you to hold it vertically. Either way, it's nice to know which way to hold it :)
    Cheers!

7. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

what compass app do you use?

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I find that when the phone or normal compass is in my car, it always points in the wrong direction. The reason is that all the metal in the car screws up the compass. Once I take it out of my car, it works fine.

Google Maps navigation appears to use your direction of motion to determine your heading. This is actually how it should be. When I mount the phone in my car, it is mounted to the right of the steering wheel which means I need to tilt the screen clockwise a bit so that it is facing me directly. The orientation of the phone is not necessarily the same as the car. Once my car is in motion, Google Maps will correctly show my car's orientation based on the motion. If it did not do this, it will always show the car driving slightly diagonally.

9. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

Technology nowadays is amazin'