• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best phone right now that comes with 2.2?

BBOOZE

Sep 23, 2010
I'm interested in the galaxy-class phones but am wary about falling into the Apple trap by having to wait breathlessly for them to release the latest version of their OS. Seems to me that if I want Android it's 2.2 or nothing. So what's the best phone on the market today that has 2.2 stock?

Well for updates, your best bet is HTC. Even if HTC stops providing updates, thanks to active community support (and the manufacturer doesn't try to stop it like Motorola does) you will get newer versions of OS through the community. Thanks to them even G1 has 2.2.

Motorola does provide updates for some time, but then you are out of luck because once they stop, you have no way of updating the phone yourself to newer kernels.

Sony Ericsson is the worst of all, X10 owners still wait for 2.1 update :).

Upvote 0
As always with these threads, define what you specifically mean by "best". Are OS updates your only concern?

I guess my question is two parts: of the phones on the market today, which of the ones that have 2.2 installed out of the box are considered the best. I know it's subjective.

Another part of my overall question is why there are delays by phone manufacturers in releasing updated versions of Android as they are developed. One of the big reasons I want to ditch the iPhone is that I'm sick and tired of seeing the spectacle of Lord Steve Jobs sprinkling us with a couple of new features to wild applause from the Apple community two times a year. I figured Android development would be more robust going forward but I'm frankly surprised at how many phones still run pre-2.2 versions of Android when it seems that they are capable of running the latest version. I don't want to jump from one waiting game to another.

Maybe I can just "root" my phone, which seems to me is the equivalent of jailbreaking the iPhone. I've never wanted to do jailbreaking because I don't really care about customizing everything on my phone but rooting an Android phone in order to run the latest version of the OS would be attractive.

Upvote 0
We got in 3 Evo 4G's and they shipped with 2.2

Although I'm new to the Android platform I'm very happy with this. (Coming from Apple) It seems very responsive and the big screen is very nice also!

From everything I read online HTC seems to be the way to go also because of www.htcsense.com that should be coming out soon for HTC phones. (Not guaranteed for all phones/providers). Also because of there UI and how often they keep things up to date. Just my .02 from what I've been reading.

Upvote 0
I really need to recommend that you should also take into consideration the type of OS 'extras' that you will be receiving, as well as the carrier.

Carriers:
ATT - You already know their coverage and whatnot. But also keep in mind that, at least I have heard, that their android phones are sub-par at best.
Sprint - Lowest rates on an unlimited 3G data plan. 2nd best data coverage in the nation, and 4G speeds (where available).
T-Mo - I know nothing about them, sorry.
Verizon - Possibly the highest rates? But the greatest coverage, and 4G coming soon (in the next couple years, I have heard).
Blah, I'm apparently not that knowledgeable in this area, but I think it's still worth considering. Others should chime in to help clarify :eek:

OS Extras
Samsung - The current lineup of Samsung 2.2 phones have something called "touchwiz" added to them. Check it out, I have heard good things.
HTC - Integrates "htc sense" with the Android operating system. I think this will lean the most towards the "rounded" and "flowing" interactions that your iPhone offered. Granted, it's nothing like IOS, but it has a more polished feel.
Motorola - I don't think they integrate anything with the Android OS. This option is going to be the most vanilla, rigid, no-bs version of any in the lot. It will be snappy and effective. But you can add a more 'rounded' third party UI overlay later if you like. Removing HTC Sense is MUCH more difficult.

OK, I now have laid out just how ignorant I am to everything new other than the Verizon/Sprint and Motorolas/HTCs. So take everything else with a grain of salt :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones