1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Best phone tracking/security/lost phone app?

Last Updated:

1. GrdLock

GrdLock Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After thinking I lost my phone yesterday, I decided I outta install one of these apps on my Eris. I've come across WaveSecure, Mobile Defense, and MobiWee (although this last one doesn't seem to be geared towards security really).

Which one have ya'll found is the best? What do you prefer? Any other suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. bbrosen

bbrosen Well-Known Member

I use mobile defense because it has the feature to send a signal to help find the phone if It was misplaced like outdoors or In the house. It alarms 5he phone full blast even if on silent or vibrate. That as well as gps tracking, remote lock and wipe sold me. Also it only runs when called upon thru te website so there is no excess battery drain.

damickens1 likes this.
  3. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Haven't tried out enough to make a final decision but there's also WaveSecure.

4. camdz

camdz Well-Known Member

Mobile Defense is what I use as well, for all of the same reasons. I actually didnt know about the "finding signal", so I will have to give that a try.

5. magnus

magnus Well-Known Member

I feel like as far as location and tracking go.....all of them have the same feature set.
    Lookout, Mobile defense and Wavesecure.

All of them can Remote locate, scream, Lock and wipe

6. Valuedcheese

Valuedcheese Member

I have only used MyLookout due to the fact its the only one that was tested along side the other top apps that had zero% Battery drain while in use which is all the time because you never know when u will lose ur phone. The only part of my lookout that drains battery is the backup feature but if u enable it to only backup at 2:00A.M. when its on the charger then it really doesnt matter what it drains. It also not only supports android but Blackberry and Windows Mobile OS. Oh and did i mention its 100% free? www.mylookout.com is where u go to download the app or just search for lookout in the android market.

damickens1 and PolicyWonk like this.
  7. adz63

adz63 Well-Known Member

hi i just got lookout im only using it if i lose my phone .backup and av is turned off , so i just have missing device running .. is it constantly using data or does it only use data when you try to find the phone from the web ?

8. Valuedcheese

Valuedcheese Member

It will only use ur gps if u login to mylookout.com and try to locate it. When it sends a request to locate ur phone it will turn it on temporarily till it gets an accurate location. Last time I located it was accurate to 1 ft which is really good. And the scream function is pretty cool too. But this app only uses gps and data when the locate feature has been activated. I have my av and backup feature run at 3am daily because its on the charger at that time. I would do the same cause u never know when u will need to restore ur backup like if u smash ur phone or it gets stolen and u get a new phone u can load all ur contacts to the new phone.it also backsup pictures. Let me know if u have any other questions. TimCGriffith@Gmail.com

damickens1 likes this.
  9. LadyBug_LaBate

LadyBug_LaBate Active Member

I like "Wheres My Droid" which is free on the Android Market. I don't use it for security purposes although you may be able to. You text it a certian code or phrase and it goes off at full blast until you find it.

Bradden and damickens1 like this.
  10. marcusaralious

marcusaralious New Member

how can i track my android phone but dont have the app installed on my phone yet. is there a way to do yhat

11. Chuck O. Jones

Chuck O. Jones Banned

I second that.
    Had free MyLookout on my Nexus One for about a year now. First under Froyo, now under Gingerbread. Never had to use it in earnest, but tested it half a dozen times and it always performed as advertised. Recommended.

12. CharlieWoldo

CharlieWoldo Member

13. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

If you're rooted, Webkey is great. You can view your screen, turn anything on and off, open apps or menus, take a picture, turn on a recording app, send an SMS, lock and unlock it, have GPS co-ordinates sent... if you're not rooted most of the others do similar (without the direct interaction).

14. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

Seekdroid.

15. CharlieWoldo

CharlieWoldo Member

Forgot to mention that LockItTight does not need root. And they have Windows version. So if you have both PC and phone need to be monitored, LockItTight is a good choice.

16. probono

probono New Member

DroidTracker Pro is the only one that seems to work. The tracking is excellent. I havnt used it to locate my own phone- i use it to track my kids. Wavesecure is also pretty good.

update: DroidTracker Pro does not need rooted phone -- get it from the android marketplace

17. Rovers

Rovers Banned

Bradden and jancat like this.
  18. jancat

jancat Well-Known Member

wow plan b sounds perfect. I wonder how that works without being able to accept permissions from the phone. Oh well I won't forget that app ... can the OP use it since they just lost theirs?

19. Rovers

Rovers Banned

Yes, and they should do it asap, of course! Like NOW!

And when they decide to remotely wipe, they should still physically recover the phone after that asap, because wiped data can easily be 'resurrected' with data recovery software! They really need that phone out of the hands of 'unauthorized third parties'!

20. bumancuzbrah

bumancuzbrah Active Member

Life360
    Where's my droid

21. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

I use two different apps, Where's My Droid (free), and LookOut (free & premium).

Where's My Droid lets you:
    1) Send a secret text message to the lost phone. It turns on the GPS of the missing phone and texts back its coordinates with Google Maps link.
    2) Send a secret text message to the lost phone that causes it to turn up the volume and ring loudly.

The free version of Lookout serves as anti-virus software (which is the main reason that I use it), but also lets you track your phone on a map (or blare a siren sound) by logging into Lookout's website. The premium version also lets you remotely lock your phone and wipe the data.

PolicyWonk likes this.
  22. ENN99

ENN99 New Member

Wavesecure is a BAD OPTION IF YOU ARE TRYING TO USE FOR POTENTIAL STOLEN PHONE. It only tracks the location if the phone is on and wavesecure is running for 10+ hours. anyone who steals a phone would likely turn it off/ power it down before the tracking can even work.
    back up of photos has to be done manually for each photo. I will not be purchasing this product after the trial.

23. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

24. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

TekTrak is great.

25. kwalla

kwalla Well-Known Member

I also like Prey.

But.. why limit yourself to one? I have Lookout installed (just in case it's active scanning actually does something -- not quite convinced it does) and Prey... and I think I tested SeekDroid (before deciding I like Prey better) and didn't get around to removing it.

What I like best about Prey is that it's good for my laptop too.. and sends emails with a snapshot of the location.

The programs don't conflict with each other like having two anti-virus/firewalls can.

I just randomly decide to play with one and mark my phone as lost and see how it works.