• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best place to buy a used / refurbished Android Phone

To put it mildly, AT&T's fees for adding a subsidized phone to your account is outrageous, so I can save 15-20 a month if I buy a phone not through AT&T and add it to the account. So what I'm wondering is the best place to find a used or refurbished phone in good shape. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, just something in good shape, that will last for a while.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks,
JohnDoeIII504

Hi there, JohnDoeIII504. Let me welcome you to Android Forums, even though we've already 'spoken' in another thread. :)

I hear you regarding AT&T. I've been with them since the last millennium...don't ask me why, as I can't even get a signal when I'm at home, but, whatever.

For purchasing a used phone, I'd just suggest using Amazon or eBay or, really, anywhere that backs purchases, and holds their sellers accountable, so if you get a lemon you're not up a creek. :eek: If you find a phone you're interested in at one of those sites, be sure to check the seller's rating and reviews.

For refurbished, I don't know...maybe going through a manufacturer would be good? :hmmmm:

Reactions: JohnDoeIII504
Upvote 0
Swappa and Amazon will also have some. If you use Amazon, check the bands. There are cleared out European phones there, and before LTE, ATT used bands that were closer. TMO used the 1700 band for 3G. I prefer unlocked phones.

I've bought a couple of used phones from Amazon. Phones were as ordered. Even then, check the bands if they are unlocked.

The other places - if you have a good cell phone repair store in town, you can usually pick up an older branded phone. The store will usually deal with complaints and let you check out the phone in store before you buy.

TMO users can often times buy an non-subsidized phone (NOT TOL model) from an MNVO and use the TMO SIM. ATT has MNVOs.

So ATT now discounts for a BYOD? I asked once and store had a fit since I had an unlocked EU Nokia. I refuse to buy carrier phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones