[BEST PRACTICE] Battery Life

Last Updated:

1. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First and foremost, I fully advocate setting your CPU speed (via SetCPU, Gscripts, or otherwise) to 19.2 MHz Minimum, On Demand, across all profiles. This will greatly improve your battery life and you will not see a decrease in performance. (NOTE: Do NOT adjust your CPU minimum to 19.2 MHz if you are running the BFS or CFS kernels.)

Now, follow these steps to optimize and calibrate your actual battery:

1. With your phone powered ON, plug it into the charger.
    2. Charge until the LED is Green, showing the phone as being fully charged.
    3. Disconnect the phone from the charger and power it OFF as quickly as possible.
    4. Once the screen and your menu lights are completely dark, showing your phone as being completely OFF, reconnect the phone to the charger.
    5. Charge until the LED is Green, showing the phone as being fully charged.
    6. Disconnect your phone from the charger.
    7. Power your phone ON and, as quickly as possible, power it back OFF.
    8. Reconnect your phone to the charger.
    9. Once the LED is Green, boot into Recovery by holding Power On + Vol Up simultaneously.
    10. In Recovery, go to Wipe > Battery Stats.
    11. Go back and Power Off your phone from Recovery.
    12. Ensure that your phone is now completely OFF and that the LED is Green.
    13. Disconnect your phone and Power On.
    14. Use as normal.
    15. (A lot of people will say, at this point, to use your phone until it powers itself off, then recharge it while off to 100%. Not sure if this is really necessary of not.)

Advertisement
  2. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

Nevermind. Does anyone have a definitive answer if bump charging does anything for us? I know it does with the incredible family of phones, but I thought it was exclusive to them. (I might be wrong)

3. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

yeah i was using the eris as a battery charger because there was no need for bump charging...

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Bump charging a Lithium-Ion battery is a silly practice that does nothing but waste your time and shorten the overall life of the battery ("life of the battery" is dictated by how many charge cycles it can go through, not how long the battery is in use in a device).

If you want longer battery life with usage through the day, take the time to go through the configuration settings of your device with an eye toward things such as automatic updating (weather, etc), auto syncing (mail, calendar, etc), GPS and wifi off unless you need them at the moment.

Be wary of Facebook and other social app syncing, as these are building a growing history of "sync loops" which rapidly drain the battery and rob the device or resources, causing lag.

Do not overclock.

Common sense battery saving measures:

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/19176-optimize-your-droid-eris-battery-life-read.html

5. KarateExplosion6

KarateExplosion6 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't think anyone knows 100%.

What I do know is that I used the steps in Post #1 on my phone and my battery performance is a LOT better. I'm at 74% right now and the phone has been off the charger for 8 hours, with normal usage.

Typically after 8 hours I'm at 50% or lower.

I think the important thing is to assure that the phone is "really" at 100%, then to boot into Recovery to Wipe > Battery Stats.