Best quality streaming music? Pandora not cutting itGeneral

1. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Sound quality just not quite there for me even on "high" quality settings.

What do you use?

Advertisement
    :
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I use Pandora. What exactly isn't enough for you? It's free <40 hours, $0.99/month after that (Once you hit 40 hours. If you don't hit 40, there's no charge).

Sound quality is great for me, even though I barely have service at work. Plug the phone into a decent set of speakers and it sounds as good as music stored locally.
  3. Kappen

Kappen Well-Known Member

I agree with necosino and Pandora is what I use. There is also Last.fm and slacker radio. I don't think the sound quality is any better or worse just different ways of selecting the play list.
  4. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

I've been very happy with the sound quality on Pandora. However, I think the quality is a bit lacking on last.fm.
    jbdan likes this.
  5. Soupdaddy

Soupdaddy Member

I ditched Pandora a long time ago. Slacker is much better imo.
    jbdan likes this.
  6. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm not knocking Pandora sorry if that is what it sounded like. I really love the app I just wanted higher quality sounding audio from a streaming music app. Maybe there is no such thing.

So I use my Inc as my music palyer in my car....I have a direct input into the 8 speaker system and have used my Zune in the past....Pandora does not have the fidelity/sound that the Zune or CD does. Not a deal breaker at all just wondered what else everyone out there was using and their experience. ;)

I'll give slacker a whirl thanks for the tip!
  7. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

How good do you need from streaming radio? I'm not sure it'd make a large difference between apps. I think the only higher quality would be actual grouprips/CDs
  8. k.electron

k.electron Well-Known Member

grooveshark.
    jbdan likes this.
  9. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I want 192khz 3d optical digital dolby DTS master audio surround :p
  10. mched

mched Well-Known Member

+1... I to prefer Slacker.
  11. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

Slacker! I think they use a higher bitrate
    jbdan likes this.
  12. GAUG3

GAUG3 Well-Known Member

Slacker here.
  13. SirensOfTitan

SirensOfTitan Active Member

Grooveshark is excellent if you're willing to pay the premium user fee. You can look up anything and play whatever you want.
    jbdan likes this.
  14. JETC

JETC Well-Known Member

Wow..really? Do they charge you automatically if you hit that 40hrs+? And do you get 40hrs free a month or 40hrs total of use?
  15. necosino

40 hours a month. So in May, let's say May 17th you hit the 40 hours. You can just wait until June 1st and start listening again, or when you open Pandora, it will notify you that you have to pay $0.99. This is a one-time charge, non-recurring, no hidden fees, just 99 cents for the rest of the calender month.

So you pay the 99 cents, and get to listen until the end of the month. Then June 1st you go back to 40 hours. In June if you only use 30 hours, you don't get billed a thing.

With free you get the 40 hours, 6 skips/hour, and occasional adds.

Pandora is add-supported via audio adds or online advertisements (although I haven't heard a single audio add via mobile..) That's how they can keep it so cheap. They do offer a $36/year Pandora One plan which offers no adds, higher quality (like the OP wanted), and unlimited skips.
    jbdan and JETC like this.
  16. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Did not know this thx. Worth a buck for sure!
  17. aw1974

aw1974 Well-Known Member

I just downloaded Slacker and it has force closed on me twice now. Anyone else having issues with Slacker?:confused:
  18. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Doesn't Slacker also have a limit before charging? Or am I totally off-base on this?
  19. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Well-Known Member

you can't skip more than six times and there are ads
  20. Shtang

Shtang Member

I've been using slacker since my Blackberry days and i love it. You can also make other favorites on their site and it'll sync to your phone. I'm just about rdy to pay to get rid of the commercials as it can get annoying.
  21. jetsfan2010

jetsfan2010 Member

Pandora is perfect for me at my desk at work
  22. ken20banks

ken20banks Member

I use last.fm

I think it's great. After using it for a while, it's usually pretty accurate about my musical tastes and preferences, and it has a simple interface. It has a nice widget and unlimited song skipping. For those having sound quality issues, there is a High Audio Quality opting in the settings. The current version also automatically scrobbles any tracks played from the Incredible's stock music player, which I find really useful.
    aw1974 likes this.
  23. highvolts

highvolts Well-Known Member

Just ditches Pandora because of this thread. Last.fm FTW
  24. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

I really like Pandora and bought the $36 option. Well worth the money and the ad free version is just great. I use it on the phone in the car and on my computer plugged into some decent speakers.
  25. necosino

@OP: There is a free 24-hour trial of the Pandora ONE, which has the higher bitrate. Maybe just try it out and see if you like it any better. If so, it's $36/year.