• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Remote Desktop App for Captivate?

barr08

Nov 18, 2010
Hey all,

Slowly but surely, my Cappy is becoming the super-device that I want it to be. With tethering covered (thanks once again to this great forum and it's users), it's time to turn to remote desktop.

So I ask you - what is the best remote desktop app out there? I can only imagine the potential for a great RD experience due to the Captivate's stellar screen! Who has some suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Just installed 'logmein'... works amazing! You have to go to logmein.com first to setup and download the pc software on your computer. Software is free and so is account. Then, go to droid market to download logmein... it's like 20 bucks or so. Works awesome... I can even access my webcam from my phone anywhere and check in on my house. Good luck, enjoy!

Upvote 0
Just installed 'logmein'... works amazing! You have to go to logmein.com first to setup and download the pc software on your computer. Software is free and so is account. Then, go to droid market to download logmein... it's like 20 bucks or so. Works awesome... I can even access my webcam from my phone anywhere and check in on my house. Good luck, enjoy!

This is a cool option that I will try out, but I am really looking for something that will use the Windows Remote Desktop protocol.

Upvote 0
I think the just launched "Remote Web Desktop" is the best Remote Web Desktop application ever with most featurefull – one of its kind application that makes it really easy to share files with your android based device. The unique web desktop share allows you to even manage your android device, take control of its web cam, manage SMS (receiving and sending both) as well as take control of screen and activities – all wirelessly. An absolute fantastic compliment for those business users who are on the run and always find things on their PC/Mac that they want to copy to their android device. I see this application as a revolutionary one and certainly a great breakthrough towards making a business user more productive….!!!

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.xdevelop.rm&feature=search_result

Reactions: js593
Upvote 0
That has to be the SWEETEST app ive ever seen in my life... Now if i could control my DESKTOP computer from my phone, the future is here.

To control a Windows Desktop remotely I use Teamviewer 6. This is the easiest way I found to support the technically-challenged folks in my family. They start the TeamViewer 6 in their desktop, then give me the ID and Password and in two seconds I take full control of their computers. I usually do this from another Windows desktop running TeamViewer, but when I'm on the road the Android TeamViewer client in my Captivate has been indispensable. It's free for personal use.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Reactions: js593
Upvote 0
To control a Windows Desktop remotely I use Teamviewer 6. This is the easiest way I found to support the technically-challenged folks in my family. They start the TeamViewer 6 in their desktop, then give me the ID and Password and in two seconds I take full control of their computers. I usually do this from another Windows desktop running TeamViewer, but when I'm on the road the Android TeamViewer client in my Captivate has been indispensable. It's free for personal use.

TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet

I thank you sir. This will help me bigtime when im fixing my friend's computers.

Upvote 0
I think the just launched "Remote Web Desktop" is the best Remote Web Desktop application ever with most featurefull – one of its kind application that makes it really easy to share files with your android based device. The unique web desktop share allows you to even manage your android device, take control of its web cam, manage SMS (receiving and sending both) as well as take control of screen and activities – all wirelessly. An absolute fantastic compliment for those business users who are on the run and always find things on their PC/Mac that they want to copy to their android device. I see this application as a revolutionary one and certainly a great breakthrough towards making a business user more productive….!!!

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.xdevelop.rm&feature=search_result

I'm sure that this post (your first, by the way) is in no way influenced by the developer's promotion:

"✔ Post a recommendation or introduction article (>100 words) to forum, blog, Facebook, or other public sites, then send the link and prod code to me.

Prod code can be found in Menu > About or Menu > Buy
Mail to: john.h.cn@gmail.com"

Legit reviews don't normally gush the way you have here. I'll still try out the app.

UPDATE: I tried the app. Cool, but definitely not what the OP is looking for. Even for the intended use I find a simple Samba share to be preferable for my needs.

Upvote 0
remote rdp lite is one but the best one ive seen so far is
Wyse PocketCloud RDP/VNC

I use this too and it works great. I have the paid version. It will use several different protocols including RDP and VNC. It also works with the Android built-in VPN, although I've only tried connecting it to a PPTP Windows VPN. I support a small company with 3 servers and this has been a life saver for me (and them), allowing me to remotely manage their servers from anywhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones