• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Remote Log In app for PC

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I use Gmote. I use it for my media center computer. I can log into my computer and also use my Dinc as a keyboard and mouse.

Not quite, but thanks for trying to help. I use Gmote and love it, but the LogMeIn app allows remote access, from basically anywhere, to all of the files on your home computer. It is just a bit expensive though. I'm looking for something similar, at a lower price.

Upvote 0
I used logmein during beta. Never got around to buying it. Bought PhoneMyPC last week for $10. So far liking it better.

I second the LogMeIn app. Been using for about 4 months to log into my office computer. Definitely worth the investment. Only complaints I've heard are no streaming sound for those who are wanting to watch Netflix. That and there were quite a few updates initially both on handsets and remote computers but now just occasional updates on the phone. Also allows remote login as well.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Reactions: NOLA_Droid
Upvote 0
I use remote vnc pro to get to my desktop, I also have an ftp server setup to up/download files quickly. Sure was a pain in the a@@ to get wol lan to work on my home pc, finally had to load ddwrt firmware on my linksys 610n v3 to get that feature to work. Im very surprised to see it not implemented on consumer grade routers. especially in this day and age, what with the green movement as well as more of the population needing or wanting access to their home pc. But compared to the old way of rooting the cdma hero, it was a breeze...lol

I use the andftp app for the ftp server/client

Upvote 0
Teamviewer today released their free-for-personal-use Teamviewer App for Android (Beta; click "Mobile" to download).

Install it on your Android phone, and the appropriate server software on your PC or Mac (or anybody else's PC or Mac; click "Windows", "Mac", or "Linux" to download), start up both, exchange ID and password, and you can remotely operate that PC or Mac, from your Android phone.

Ideal for 24/7 access to (the power and the storage of) your own computer at home, wherever you are (not necessarily via Wi-Fi!), without having to schlep around a laptop or a tablet. Or to help someone else with computer problems: you can instantly take over their desktop, while they can see what is happening on their own screen.

Its speed depends on your connections. Wi-Fi is (obviously) fastest.

The screen real estate on a phone sucks of course. So you won't suddenly be doing any heavy desktop work on your phone. But Teamviewer is an ideal backstop, imo.

Reactions: NOLA_Droid
Upvote 0
Teamviewer today released their free-for-personal-use Teamviewer App for Android (Beta; click "Mobile" to download).

Install it on your Android phone, and the appropriate server software on your PC or Mac (or anybody else's PC or Mac; click "Windows", "Mac", or "Linux" to download), start up both, exchange ID and password, and you can remotely operate that PC or Mac, from your Android phone.

Ideal for 24/7 access to (the power and the storage of) your own computer at home, wherever you are (not necessarily via Wi-Fi!), without having to schlep around a laptop or a tablet. Or to help someone else with computer problems: you can instantly take over their desktop, while they can see what is happening on their own screen.

Its speed depends on your connections. Wi-Fi is (obviously) fastest.

The screen real estate on a phone sucks of course. So you won't suddenly be doing any heavy desktop work on your phone. But Teamviewer is an ideal backstop, imo.

What server software are you using/required for Teamviewer to function?

EDIT: NVM just saw it.

Just installed on the Incredible, and installed the desktop client. No configuration whatsoever. It just works. Did not have to adjust the port configuration, or firewall settings. Simple, free, and easy to use. Perfect, and thanks for the recommendation.

Upvote 0
Be careful with PhoneMyPC PC software.

Software: PhoneMyPC PC software 32bit version 2.0.2.2

I was looking for a remote desktop app that can pass through NAT network, when I have no rights to configure port mapping.
Just tried PhoneMyPC and uninstalled the PC software. I found that I cannot connect to L2TP VPN on my desktop anymore! error code 789. After system restore I managed to roll back and able to connect to that L2TP VPN again.
I tried it on two desktops, same problem.

I am going to try TeamViewer or Logmein.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones