• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best ROM for a working dialer.

T-Keith

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
I was really trying to hold out on root until after my warranty expires. But taking 10 minutes just to make a phone call yesterday has made me ready. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a good ROM to try.

I am looking for a 2.2 ROM, mainly for the search correction and tethering options. I don't care about live wallpapers and I'm even willing to give up sense. I tried Launcher pro and like it, the main thing I want to get rid of is lag. Replacing the sense home and apps has helped but phone calling is still incredibly frustrating. I would like a ROM that everything works on, but maybe if it is a feature I don't use it wouldn't be a big deal. Where do you guys think I should start? Also is it every a big deal going back to stock for warranty work?

thanks,
-Keith

I am looking for a 2.2 ROM, mainly for the search correction and tethering options. I don't care about live wallpapers and I'm even willing to give up sense. I tried Launcher pro and like it, the main thing I want to get rid of is lag. Replacing the sense home and apps has helped but phone calling is still incredibly frustrating. I would like a ROM that everything works on, but maybe if it is a feature I don't use it wouldn't be a big deal. Where do you guys think I should start? Also is it every a big deal going back to stock for warranty work?

If you truly want 2.2, you will have to do it without Sense for now, since none of the Froyo builds for the Eris have Sense, or the HTC frameworks. The stock, vanilla Android dialer in those ROMs is quite different from the HTC dialer - for one thing, with the dialer pad displayed, you canot dial by typing the recipient's name, as you can in the HTC dialer, though there is a tab across the top for your contacts to search, scroll through them, etc. There is also a third-party dialer app in the market called Dialer One which, I understand, adds that functionality (though I have never used it myself.)

I agree that xtrSENSE is a great ROM to try - it has the HTC dialer that you are used to, without the pesky lag problems.

One great thing about rooting is that you can install a ROM, get it all set up, do a Nandroid backup and try another. If the new one is not working for you, you can simply do a Nandroid restore and bring the first ROM back, just as you left it. So, you can try a Froyo ROM (kaos froyo, CELB Froyo, Cyanogen Tazz, Nonsensikal) and, if you don't like it, you can try to flash xtrSENSE (if you want the Sense launcher) or xtrROM (if you want to avoid the sense launcher but use the HTC custom apps) and try those out.

Upvote 0
On tethering, as far as I know, none of the Eris Froyo builds so far support the built-in Froyo tethering, though there are third-party apps that provide tethering. I know that xtrROM (which is 2.1) has wired and wireless tethering built-in.

Saying that, I have never tethered with my phone, so I will leave it to others who have to confirm whether it works.

Upvote 0
T-Keith, I had the same problems with calling. Dialing *228 and updating the 1 and 2 options (programming and roaming) made a HUGE difference- calls went out almost right away. If want to keep it stock, I'd say try that and see if it helps.

Didn't stop me from rooting, though! I've put Nonsensikal on and it's been working pretty well!

Edit: I put Dialer One on today, and I find it to be more useful than the Sense dialer- I like having the call log and contacts to be swipable to one side or the other

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones