• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best rom for galaxy s2?

Im undecided on the MIUI rom, checkrom hd or villain rom which one is best on battery life? And easiest to flasg and do they all work with siyah 2.1.1?

Villain Rom is solid but for me it was very boring. Its based off of stock so very little difference. The battery was steady.

CheckRom is customisable heaven but 2.0 has been notably heavy on battery life. Some kernals can vary. I notice little difference as a heavy user. My battery runs away.

MIUI I can't comment. It didnt appeal at first glance.

Upvote 0
Villain Rom is solid but for me it was very boring. Its based off of stock so very little difference. The battery was steady.

CheckRom is customisable heaven but 2.0 has been notably heavy on battery life. Some kernals can vary. I notice little difference as a heavy user. My battery runs away.

MIUI I can't comment. It didnt appeal at first glance.

Thanks rudedawg, just spent 2 hours reading up on all 3.. i think im leaning towards Checkrom 2.0 HD.. it states no wipe in the features, does that mean i can just flash it straight to my phone without doing a full wipe of my phone.....

Upvote 0
I think people make way too much of a big deal regarding full wipes.
I almost always do a full wipe. The only time I don't is if I'm updating the same rom and it still is on the same firmware version. So this is quite rare.

Keep your contacts and calendar centrally in your google account. This makes full wipes very straight forward..

Do a titanium backup of your apps before wiping. download this from the market after your up and running on your new rom and you'll be back as normal in no time. Just remember to decline the prompt in the new rom's first run to let google restore your apps. This will eat up your data usage as this is done before you get chance to set up your wireless connection.

I'm probably all done within 5 or 10 minutes after a full wipe. Its a small price to pay for extra peace of mind.
And I enjoy going through the various setup stages on a new rom after a wipe as it gives me a chance to discover if there are any new features.

Upvote 0
I think people make way too much of a big deal regarding full wipes.
I almost always do a full wipe. The only time I don't is if I'm updating the same rom and it still is on the same firmware version. So this is quite rare.

Keep your contacts and calendar centrally in your google account. This makes full wipes very straight forward..

Do a titanium backup of your apps before wiping. download this from the market after your up and running on your new rom and you'll be back as normal in no time. Just remember to decline the prompt in the new rom's first run to let google restore your apps. This will eat up your data usage as this is done before you get chance to set up your wireless connection.

I'm probably all done within 5 or 10 minutes after a full wipe. Its a small price to pay for extra peace of mind.
And I enjoy going through the various setup stages on a new rom after a wipe as it gives me a chance to discover if there are any new features.

will i have to re flash siyah 2.1.1 after flashing checkrom v2.0 HD??

Upvote 0
MrBaker ,

DO a Full wipe coming from a fresh install , Kitchenpro app comes preinstalled with the rom.
Flash Siyah from your phone memory after dragging it from your pc using a USB. Install both ROM and Kernal via CWM recovery mode.

ALWAYS save .zip files to phone memory not sd. (although the phone tends to refer to the phone memory as SDCARD)

Upvote 0
so

1. full wipe

2. install rom

3. "kitchen" is an app installed with the rom

4. choose your kernel from the kitchen app and install directly from there, unless you want the latest version eg the siyah one, then follow rudedawgs instructions (or download it direct from your xda app or browser on your phone and apply thru cwm)

Upvote 0
icon5.gif
10 Hrs ??
But, I have to say if you get 10 hours with data and battery that's pretty bad.!. but do you mean with medium/heavy usage???

Upvote 0
Definitely give CheckROM Revolution a try! It looks almost exactly like stock samsung and it's easy to install the stock features/apps if you want them. A lot of custom roms just delete a lot of the stock stuff, which can be annoying if you use it!
I've already installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 - is it too late to benefit from this? I mean, have the stock rom files already been ditched?

Presumably I could re-flash a stock rom and then flash Checkrom on top of it?
Next question would be... which stock rom is best?

Upvote 0
I've already installed Cyanogenmod 7.1 - is it too late to benefit from this? I mean, have the stock rom files already been ditched?

Presumably I could re-flash a stock rom and then flash Checkrom on top of it?
Next question would be... which stock rom is best?

If you did a backup of your ROM before you flashed to CM 7.1 (Which is always a good idea) you can just restore it and then flash Check Rom Rev.

Reactions: ppmal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones