best ROM for Hero these days (the last days)?

Last Updated:

1. mrtimo

mrtimo Well-Known Member

So I am looking for a stable rom which I can install on my non-techie siblings phones.

The latest AOSP ROM (from AOSP on XDA) seems to be stable, as well as CM 7.1RC, the .35 kernel is nice but it seems to break GPS and sometimes camera...

Any recommendations for a stable ROM out there? Stable for me means: GPS works most of the time, camera, and sprint VVM.

Are there any kernels besides .35 which are stable and an improvement over cooked in kernels?

Advertisement
  2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Just flash CM 7.1RC. It's a fine daily driver and the kernel that it comes with works just fine. It's what I use. :)
  3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

The Wild Hero rom seems to be pretty stable [ROM][Sense 2.3.3] WildHeroc RC2.1 [8-28-11] - xda-developers

Not sure if you want sense or not but..........:)
  4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

This is off topic, but wow, andygu3 finally has an avatar! I am sitting here with my jaw dropped!

Back on topic, I never really had any stability issues with the AOSP Android 2.3 or CyanogenMod 7 ROMs. I did not use the .35 kernel much though.
    andygu3 likes this.
  5. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

:D
  6. Pursual

Pursual Member

Do you guys not get navigation freezes/lockups?

I have been on Cyanogen 7 for a while, but navigation is horrible.

If your nav is working great please chime in with what rom your hero is on.
  7. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

I never had an issue with Google Navigation on CM7 on my Sprint HTC Hero. I was also one of the lucky ones that never had issues with it locking up on the old AOSP Android 2.3 ROMs either though.

Try flashing the latest nightly and see if that helps with your issue. If not, try wiping cache and Dalvik cache as that can clear up some intermittent issues with apps sometimes.
  8. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I use CM7.1 on my Sprint Hero and I would say maybe once out of every ten times I use the Nav I get a weird force close or lock up. It's rare though. This is by far the best ROM I have found for stable GPS and Nav usage.
  9. snwbrd40oz

snwbrd40oz Active Member

I've noticed my phone has been getting kinda buggy/laggy the last few weeks so I've decided to try something new. Do I read correctly that Wild Hero does not support wireless tethering? Is that just the Android version or would it kill Barnacle as well?
  10. Pwrthief

Pwrthief Member

Gingersense great rom stable too
  11. Pwrthief

Pwrthief Member

Correction gingerbread hero deck :eek:
  12. Murrfk

Murrfk Member

I had Fresh on for a while and thought it was good. WildHeroC was great too, but lacked the ##commands that I needed. I will probably go back to WildHeroC once I finish monkeying with my spare phone.
  13. permazorch

permazorch Well-Known Member

Deck is my favorite, currently.