Best Rom Switching Method??

1. AJ7187

AJ7187 Member

I have been switching roms for awhile now, much love for peter alfonso and cm, but I'm looking for the best way to switch between roms to avoid any issues.I have loved using tibu and my home screen restore on launcher pro but I have been testing roms out and really want to see the best they have to offer...running GPA 14 with pete's 1.25 kernel and love it but ready for the next move, testing roms til stable Gpa 15, so wondering best way to switch between roms, do I use rom manager, and ALL TIPS, TRICKS, AND ADVICE is greatly appreciated

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

1) wipe. don't try to carry over data between ROMs, you're playing with fire on thin ice on a snow packed mountain waiting for an avalanche with a volcano ready to blow.

2) Pay for TiBu premium - worth every penny.

3) (Personal recommendation, not everyone agrees) - pay for ROM Manager - it allows you to daisy chain installation aps so you can do things like install ROM, install GApps, install TiBu update.zip as a system app, etc. all in a single step

4) Try not to restore *any* system data between ROMs - again, see #1 for the reason...(I've written in the past that it is OK to restore System data in TiBu that is green - but now I'm hesitant to even suggest that....)

5) Backup, backup, *backup*
  3. skilaufen

skilaufen Well-Known Member

+1 for everything JohnlGalt said, plus one additional thing.

Make sure you also know how to flash a ROM from the recovery mode or flash a backup from recovery. If all you use is ROM Manager and then have a problem you won't know how to flash from recovery to get your backup or a new ROM loaded. ROM Manager makes it nice and has always worked well for me, but I also learned how to do it through the recovery interface.

And to repeat what was said backup, backup, backup it is your friend in times of need!:D