• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best ROMs for the Eris...

Hey guys, first time here in the Eris forum. I have a DX, but my buddy has an Eris and I just rooted it. Now I'm looking for ROMs to flash on it but I'm not sure which one's are the really good ones for the Eris. I went to the Cyanogen site and couldn't find the Eris in their lists of ROMs, but I've seen on here people talking about Cyanogen ROMs... if there is a Cyanogen ROM available for the Eris I would love to know where to find it.

If not then please point me in the right direction for the fastest, slickest ROM I can flash to his Eris. The lag he's getting from his stock ROM is driving him crazy.

Thanks in advance.

icon1.gif
Luvin' FroShedYo v10 (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page) Check this out. This is what I'm running.:)

Reactions: Outlaw71
Upvote 0
Hey guys, first time here in the Eris forum. I have a DX, but my buddy has an Eris and I just rooted it. Now I'm looking for ROMs to flash on it but I'm not sure which one's are the really good ones for the Eris. I went to the Cyanogen site and couldn't find the Eris in their lists of ROMs, but I've seen on here people talking about Cyanogen ROMs... if there is a Cyanogen ROM available for the Eris I would love to know where to find it.

If not then please point me in the right direction for the fastest, slickest ROM I can flash to his Eris. The lag he's getting from his stock ROM is driving him crazy.

Thanks in advance.

The Eris is not an officially supported CyanogenMod platform, but some talented developers have been able to (I believe) take the build for the Sprint Hero and get it re-worked for the Eris. Unlike the supported phones, you will not be able to open ROM Manager and find an Eris ROM (that I know of, anyway).

The purest CyanogenMod ROM is CELB Froyo. Like supported Cyanogen builds, you do need to flash Google apps after flashing the ROM. You can find it here: [ROM][GPL] CELB Froyo 4.2(Plain CM Rom)1-16-11 - xda-developers

I've run CELB as a daily driver most of the time for the last four months, and it's excellent.

Upvote 0
Ok so second question... is it possible to move apps to the SD card if you install one of the froyo ROMs? His phone barely has any apps at all on it and it's telling him he is running out of room. So I'm trying to find a way to move his apps to SD but I can't find a way how anywhere... any ideas?

Well, Froyo has its own strategy for moving apps to the SD card and I don't believe its compatible with apps2sd (pretty sure its not). edit: I don't think you can move every app to the SD card in Froyo--I think the app has to be written to allow it. But its a standard Froyo feature.

ROMs like Zach.xtr's xtrSense ([ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers)or xtrROM ([ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrROM4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc] - xda-developers) use a strategy different from apps2sd to allow you to install more apps: its called cache2cache. These ROMs will re-purpose the normally unused /cache filesystem for moving the Dalvik cache out of /data/dalvik-cache over to the /cache filesystem. Its brilliant and does reclaim lots of space.

Read through the above threads--Zach.xtr did a great job of building these ROMs and documenting them too.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Oh, ok... so ROM Manager won't make a nandroid on the Eris? I downloaded ROM Manager on the Eris, then I clicked on 'Clockworkmod Recovery'. It asked me to confirmn that my device was an 'Eris CDMA' and I clicked 'OK' and it said it was a success. So I figured I was good to go. So then I went down and clicked on 'Backup Current ROM'. The screen went blank, then a triangle with a '!' through it appearded and didn't seem to go anywhere from there.

So I had to do a battery pull and boot it back up again. So does this mean ROM Manager is totally useless on the Eris?

Upvote 0
Wow this sucks... I have to hit the volume down button + power to get into the HBoot. But once I get in there when I tab down to the 'Recovery' selection and then hit the power button it goes to that same screen where the triangle and the '!' going through it appear. What am I doing wrong?

I do NOT want to flash a ROM to his phone without making a nandroid first!

Upvote 0
Oh, ok... so ROM Manager won't make a nandroid on the Eris? I downloaded ROM Manager on the Eris, then I clicked on 'Clockworkmod Recovery'. It asked me to confirmn that my device was an 'Eris CDMA' and I clicked 'OK' and it said it was a success. So I figured I was good to go. So then I went down and clicked on 'Backup Current ROM'. The screen went blank, then a triangle with a '!' through it appearded and didn't seem to go anywhere from there.

So I had to do a battery pull and boot it back up again. So does this mean ROM Manager is totally useless on the Eris?

Both Clockwork and Amon_RA can make Nandroid backups. They get dropped in different locations on your SD card, and are not readily interchangeable (but can be interchanged with some manual effort)

The reason you are getting that "triangle" display on your phone is because you haven't rooted your phone yet. That is the "splash screen" of the factory/stock recovery boot. (ClockworkMod will not work with that).

Root first, install ROM 2nd.

To answer your last question - once you have Amon_RA on the phone as a result of the rooting process (e.g. "One Click" or "Dummies" method), you can use either Amon_RA or the current version of ROM Manager/ClockworkMod.

Upvote 0
But I did obtain superuser status using Z4Root and have succesfully used Titanium Backup, Root Explorer and other root only apps. Does Z4Root not 'fully' root the Eris or something?

I'm not familiar with Z4Root - never even heard of it until you mentioned it. Sounds like it does not install a custom recovery by default.

If you have not replaced the factory ROM yet, but only added some root kit components to it with Z4Root, then you should still be able to run the "One Click" app or the "Dummies" method to install the Amon_RA custom recovery. AFAIK, that is all those rooting methods do - install a custom recovery.

The "triangle" screen you saw is definitely from the stock recovery. It is a "locked" recovery that expects things passed to it to be signed by HTC.

Now, the way the current implementation of Rom Manager works, is it passes an "update package" to whatever recovery is already on the phone, and "live patches" that recovery while it is running. Unfortunately, the "stock" recovery will not accept any update packages from ROM Manager, because it is not properly signed (with HTC's key). But Amon_RA will, and works fairly well with ROM Manager/ClockworkMod. (That's why I said "if you have Amon_RA on the phone, you can use either Amon_RA or Rom Manager/Clockwork")

There are other ways to install Amon_RA to a phone that has root tools installed on to it, but they are sort of tedious (require the use of a PC, and installation of the Android SDK, command line nonsense, yada yada yada). Give One Click or "Dummies" a spin to install a custom recovery.

eu1

Upvote 0
But I did obtain superuser status using Z4Root and have succesfully used Titanium Backup, Root Explorer and other root only apps. Does Z4Root not 'fully' root the Eris or something?

I helped a friend root his R2D2 two days ago and that was the method they root with over on that forum. It was so easy (Z4 Root (1 click app) no pc needed).:)

Upvote 0
Ok I got on that 'Rooting for dummies' and it said to download a ROM, Gscript lite and EStrongs File Manager... I found all of them except the last one. There is an EStrong File Explorer and an EStrongs Task Manager... but no EStrong File Manager. Which one do I get???

Its "ES File Explorer"...you might also get some warnings about not having the other (bundled crap) installed with the file explorer, don't worry about those guys.

Also, if you want / can, you might want to use the "1-click" method's app to do the actual rooting, but read and reference erisuser1's excellent "univseral root for dummies" thread since its very well documented and instructive.

We'll help you either way ;).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Damn it man, I have all my ducks in a row, I start to do the steps in the 'Dummies' section and it says my GScript zip file is bad... Grrrrrrrrr!!!! What's the deal, is that a bad link???

Did you check the MD5 sum of the gscript.zip file with my AFV (Android File Verifier) app (free in the Market)? :p :D

If you downloaded it from your PC, be sure to do a "safe remove" or "safe eject" after transferring it to your phone (or download it directly to your phone MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service) but be sure to double-check its MD5 sum (92796a8c6e61e8f1ee36e315c0acae7d) in either case (also a good idea for the custom ROMs or any other critical files).

Let us know...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones