• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Best rooting method for Galaxy SIII (G4) LTE?

Are you talking about boot unlocked or SIM unlocked? SIM unlocking doesn't change the model number.

You do need the Samsung drivers installed. That has nothing to do with rooting, it's how your computer communicates with your phone.

If the phone is running Android 4.3 or lower, use Kingo to root it. If it's running 4.4.2 or higher, wait until someone comes out with a root exploit for it. (Kingo has stated that they aren't even going to try.)

Reactions: modelerrr
Upvote 0
Towelroot will work. And if you don't know what SuperSU is, you might not want to root just yet. Do a little more research. Dont be afraid to ask questions. You have to have either SuperSU or superuser to manage root access of root apps. And I used flashify to install custom recovery which you need, to install Roms or kernels or other zip packages.

Reactions: barnsey_2
Upvote 0
Madbat, I’m not sure what to think…towelroot’s website clearly specifies that it works on Kit Kat (4.4) only, and you say you’ve used it to root a 4.3 (jelly bean) phone. I don’t want to brick my phone doing something un-vetted, so how do you suggest I resolve this dilemma?

Re: Supersu & flashify, I’m unconcerned about them at this point. I want to root my S3 only to install a single app, Battery Life Fix For Galaxy S3 Or Any Android Devices Running A Jelly Bean Rom - YouTube to increase my woeful S3 battery life. Frankly, I couldn’t give a shit about anything else. My needs are basic & simple.
As a last rant, I’m disappointed with this forum, which seems incapable of responding to basic android user questions without either speaking in gibberish or recommending a plethora of research. I’m aware many questions become repetitive, but that’s no excuse for not providing clear, non-jargon answers, or at the least, pointing to a specific source for finding the answer.

However, I do appreciate your courtesy of replying!

Upvote 0
I used towelroot on jellybean. If you don't want to, don't. But you have to have SuperSU or superuser once rooted. It grants root access to any rooted app you're trying to use. If you don't want to use towelroot, just follow this guide http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6290998 . I only suggested towelroot because its easy.
Towelroot can root any kernel made before June 3rd (almost all). It WILL root your s3.

Reactions: barnsey_2
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones