best screen protectors?

Last Updated:

1. John Connor

John Connor Active Member This Topic's Starter

just curious, are the screen protectors from verizon the best ones or is there something else better for around the same price?... since the phone has been out for a couple months now i thought maybe there are more options for screen protectors

Advertisement
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

3. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member

4. John Connor

John Connor Active Member This Topic's Starter

already ordered my boxwave

5. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

does phantomskinz full body kit require you to wet your phone? i'm not a fan of doing that... is there anything similar where u don't have to?

i just want some protection from scratches and stuff without adding more bulk with a case.

6. brettlewis

brettlewis Well-Known Member

I have Ghost Armor.

And although most protectors are the same, either the hard plastic like the vzw ones or the saran like flexible ones like ghost (I prefer this kind), the advantage of ghost armor is that at many best buy locations in the US, they will install it and honor your mfg warranty on site. If you get a new phone, or manage to peel of or injure the "armor" they will put on a new one. They actually train one or two of there store employees to install them so they are very good at doing it.

7. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member

I have heard that the screens are nearly scratchproof. My local store has made me their guinea pig.

8. steveandtracy7

steveandtracy7 New Member

I used a boxwave screen protector on my Blackberry and it was great. I ordered one for my droid and it is terrible! I tried to return it and the company said they would not accept it if the backing was removed. They have a satisfaction guarantee, but how do you know if you're satisfied if you don't try the protector? I will never buy from Boxwave again! Fair warning to everyone.

9. kraze0g

hm, your one of the first people i've seen critisize the boxwave screen protector (which i was going to order). everyone seems to be in agreement that its the best protector avaliable..

10. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I use the one that came with it. Made by Corning.

11. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

I've decided not to put a screen protector on given the characteristics of gorilla glass on the Droid. I haven't yet found a screen protector that has the same feel and response as the bare gorilla glass. Time will tell if it was the right decision. ;)

12. kraze0g

do you guys keep your phone naked? i really dont want to add bulk - but i dont want to be scared to use it... is this a reasonable fear of scratching it up?

if you dont keep it naked, whats the next best alternative? (what about things like phantomglass or invibleshield full body protectors? do u need to wet your phone?)

13. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the Seidio protectors? They say you don't have to mess with any wet downs, just a peel/stick method of applying. I was thinking of just grabbing one when I get my case/holster and not having to mess with it.

Ultimate Screen Guard

14. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

i dont like cases, just make em look tacky.. i had a screen protector on my bb curve, saved the screen a few times because its crap plastic. after watching that video of the kid keying his droids screen ive decided not to waste time with a screen protector. it pretty much will be hard to scratch so why bother. i dont care about fingerprints and shit on it, because its been said. thats what my shirt sleeve is for.

since the body is metal i know it can handle some drops and dings, plus most "cases" are just sleeves and actually dont help with any sort of impact resistance

15. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

Question for you Boxwave advocates...

I'm a Zagg fan myself, but I stepped away from Blackberries and out of my comfort zone when I bought the Droid (and I LOVE it) and I'm gonna stick with that mentality and give the Boxwave a shot, so here it is: What's the deal with installation?...No spray-on lube like with the Zagg's?...How does it go on?...Just peel off the backing and rub/roll it on with the credit card applicator thingamabob?

Also, they're selling 1 for $13 or 3 for $28 here: Droid Screen Protector / Motorola Droid Screen Protector / Droid Screen Cover / Motorola Droid Screen Cover / Droid Screen Film - ClearTouch Crystal Is there any reason at all that I might need more than one? Bad installation or something? 3 for $28 is a pretty good deal but I'd rather save $15 if I can. Thoughts?

TIA

16. JDW

JDW Well-Known Member

So far, I haven't been able to scratch mine, and I'm pretty good at screwing up phones that way (hence the otterbox on my Blackberries)...

Should I really be worried about this? Just ordered an Innocase from Seidio. Which is a first. I usually do Otters, but I doubt they'll make one for this product considering the slider.

17. JYo

JYo Active Member

I'm using the screen protector from Verizon. I can never get them on correctly, and avoid changing them. Am I really o.k. leaving the screen naked? I'd much prefer that. Had the Voyager and didn't use a screen protector, had a couple of nicks, but that's it. The sales rep convinced me that "you're spending a lot on this phone, hate to see you ruin the screen".
    I also have a clear case from the Verizon store (am I a sucker or what?!). Not sure about that either...

18. geezman

geezman Well-Known Member

I'm using no screen protector because the Corning Gorilla glass looks pretty scratch resistant. Check out this link

19. JYo

JYo Active Member

TY geezman. I'm feeling like I can take the screen protector off without worrying. :)

20. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

Yup, best screen protector is the Gorilla Glass the front is made of!

21. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

but people are still managing to scratch it. but for the most part it should be fine naked.

the seidio ultimate screen guard is great. i believe it's essentially a static cling type thing. crystal clear. thick and durable.

i personally have started to hate the zagg-type material (which i think is identical to ghost armor, bodyguardz and best skins ever - regardless of what people say). i think there is distortion and they often also come with imperfections in them. add in the orange peel effect and i think they are terrible for screens. fine for the body of the phone but bad for screens.

i have an Eris (though i did have a Droid for about 2 weeks) and i bought the ultimate screen guard from seidio and the innocase II and i am very happy. very high quality stuff.

22. crankerchick

crankerchick Well-Known Member

the verizon screen protector seemed to work ok for me. i grabbed them when i bought the phone because i hadn't ordered any ahead of time and didn't at the time know about the durability of the screen itself. the only thing i didn't like about the verizon one, at least at my verizon store, is it didn't cover the whole screen. it stopped above the 4 soft-keys and also had 2 cutouts at the top that seemed stupid and made me think the protector wasn't really made for the droid.

i picked up a cheapie set from handhelditems that covered the whole screen (again before i learned that i don't actually need any protection). these cover the whole screen but seem to smudge a lot more than the verizon ones and also seem to disrupt the sensitivity of my screen just a bit.

i'm going to investigate this no screen protector business, as i've never been a real fan of them anyway. i hate the dust the collected around the edges of the screen on my 6700 and 6800 devices.

23. windowPAIN

windowPAIN Member

I bought a full body protector from clearprotector.com (used a coupon) and like the grip with no added bulk. Helps a lot when you are trying to hold and type on the keyboard. Pretty sure it is similar to zagg but have never had zagg.

Even though glass is hard to scratch, I've amanged to scratch my camera, gps (handheld while backpacking) and my old razr. Didn't even know these scratch guards existed until the iphone came out. Wish I had.

24. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I think the droid is the first phone that uses gorilla glass. Your other devices had plastic screens. I had a Zagg, hated it. Made the screen tacky, even after two weeks. Peeled it off and threw it away. Running naked now, can't use a case because I have the car dock and the hard belt clip from verizon.