1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Best screenshot app?Support

1. andyacecandy

andyacecandy Well-Known Member

Ever since the gingerbread update, shoot me doesn't work anymore. Is there an alternative out?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. BHalbrooks

BHalbrooks Well-Known Member

Not that I know of. Hoping (Futility I'm sure) that ShootMe will start working.
  3. Evo

Evo Well-Known Member

Are you using a rooted Evo? It was originally supposed to only support rooted phones, but it was still usable for non-root users. I bet HTC covered up the loophole that allowed the program to still run because it works on my rooted phone.
  4. JDub

JDub Member

So, I understand that ShootMe and other screenshot apps were originally designed for rooted phones, and that the Evo had a loop-hole that allowed it to work prior to the 2.3.3 Gingerbread update, but why then does it no longer work after the Gingerbread update when some sources claim that one of the enhancements with Gingerbread was adding the ability to take screenshots without root-level access (see online article below)?

Android 2.3.3 to allow screenshots without rooting | Android Central

Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread Allows Screenshots Without Rooting | TheTechJournal.com

Is it a matter of third-party app. devs developing software to take advantage of the new functionality provided with Gingerbread 2.3.3, or is this simply inaccurate information, and we really have no hope of screenshotting with the Evo unless we surface-dwellers dig in and root our device?

I'd really like to someone with fairly authoritative / substantiated information to reply to this if you're out there and can speak to it.

I'm an un-rooted Evo user, and I'm not all that enchanted by the idea of rooting, so I'm interested in any developments surrounding the ability to screenshot on the Evo with the latest Gingerbread OTA 2.3.3 update.

5. JDub

JDub Member

6. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't have authoritative or substantiated info but I would bet good money that you are correct in the thinking that ShootMe would have to rewrite the App (or just a few code changes, no idea of how in-depth it is) in order to take advantage of the new ability in unrooted devices.
    JDub likes this.
  7. JDub

JDub Member

My first goal is to get substantiation of the claim that Gingerbread will allow screenshots without root (but requiring apps to take advantage of the functionality), because I'm also hearing that this is not the case, since it is viewed as a security risk to the operating system software.
  8. According to my views and experience ER Screen shot app in one of the best Android screen shot app.
  9. Loota

Loota Well-Known Member

While I don't wish to necro a dead thread it seems this is the go-to thread for best screenshot app.

While Screencast is not solely a screenshot app it does take screen shots just as well as any other app I have tried. It's other feature and main selling point is that it can take hi quality video of your phone screen up to 30fps WITH voice recording if you choose to narrate it.

Here is a video I took with it to show off my home screen...
    Lootas theme - YouTube

Trust me when I say any pixelation and artifacts you see were generated when I was compressing the file after audiodubbing. THIS APP DOES REQUIRE ROOT.
    Granite1 and ocnbrze like this.
  10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

thanx for the heads up. i'm going to have to try this.

here is the paid version:
    Screencast Video Recorder
  11. maximusx8

maximusx8 Member

so there is no free screenshot app without having to root your phone?? updated from 2.3.4 Android to 4.0 through PC companion.. and now i dont have my screenshot which sony had already provided when i pressed the Sleep/Wake button..