Best setcpu battery saving techniques for any android or anything else

1. SuperWind

SuperWind Well-Known Member

so yeah the title explains it all any best settings for saving battery with setcpu.

Advertisement
    :
  2. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Setting a lower Max speed will save battery but obv slow the phone down. Undervolting is too much of a pita for me to even mess with lol :)
  3. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

This is all that I remember from 2010/2011 when I actually did development and cared about eeking out extra battery performance. I'm sure there are more custom governors today and the rules are likely different.

Use the OnDemand governor if you want typical performance, and use the Conservative governor if you want better battery life and don't mind a slight delay in response at times.

Do not use PowerSave or Performance. Doing so completely defeats the purpose of setting the clock speeds.
    funkylogik likes this.
  4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Yeah thats still true man but theres more versions of ondemand now.
    +1 that powersave and Performance should not be touched lol :)
  5. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

Well, for the rom i am running, the dev says to run interactive governor, cpu set at 122 min. and 806max.

Although i've found that 480min and 768max has been working well.

If you play games, kick the max up.

But i'm running an old low end device?
  6. Thatdad

Thatdad Well-Known Member

Whats best for the huawei Premia stock ROM
  7. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL * VIP Member

You would best be informed in your specific device forum, or just play with the settings to see what works for you.

Every phone is different, as is the user.

But be careful, my rom has a checkbox to set cpu at boot up, if you have this leave it unchecked, because if checked and you set the cpu to high you might get stuck in a bootloop.
  8. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

You might not even be able to change any settings. Even when rooted, user adjustable CPU speeds/different governors are often only availble in custom kernels.
    Mehta23 and badblue1 like this.
  9. Thatdad

Thatdad Well-Known Member

I can.
  10. handofendowment

handofendowment New Member

Be careful with too low clock speeds and voltage. My GS3 sometimes takes a while to wake up from a sleep state.
  11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

You can generally change governors or underclock a stock kernel, but not much else.

As far as the original question posed: whats best for one phone isnt best for everyone else. In fact, even if we have the same kind of phone my settings may not work for you.

I would suggest posing this question in your devices all things root forum.

What governors and kernels are available to me, likely aren't available on your phone, so the advice doesn't translate.
    ironass and El Presidente like this.
  12. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

Another option besides under clocking the cpu is turning off data connection.

Turning off 4G on my phone makes the battery last about 3 times longer (and I still receive regular sms).