• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best SMS App for traveling abroad?

Getting a new number does not sound like a great solution, that would mean contacting everyone I know with a number that I am only going to use for a few weeks... (unless I misunderstanding something)

Yes you need a new number unless you want to port your current phone number to Google Voice. If you do that you can text as you normally would to any US and Canada number. Only drawback is the Google Voice doesn't do MMS and the Google Voice messaging app is very limited.

Upvote 0
The OP is texting back to the US. Both parties are still using a US based number. There are no extra charges.

His SMS will also be originating from the UK with a destination of the US. He will have to use the international calling code for the US.
That's an international text, the UK based servers will flag it as such and the text wont go through.

Upvote 0
His SMS will also be originating from the UK with a destination of the US. He will have to use the international calling code for the US.
That's an international text, the UK based servers will flag it as such and the text wont go through.

Google voice is data. It will be sent like as such. It doesn't go through operators or carriers at your end. In fact you can hop into Google Voice in your computer and have a two way text conversation with your friends and they won't be able to tell you are not texting from your phone. The text will still show it is coming from your phone number even though you are not even on your phone.

Upvote 0
Google voice is data. It will be sent like as such. It doesn't go through operators or carriers at your end. In fact you can hop into Google Voice in your computer and have a two way text conversation with your friends and they won't be able to tell you are not texting from your phone. The text will still show it is coming from your phone number even though you are not even on your phone.

If that were the case then you could text anyplace in the world as its 'all data'. Or, UK residents could create a GoogleVoice US-based number and happily call the US all day long - for free. It doesn't work like that. Its all based on location.

My point was that when the OP sends the text, it will have to go through a UK BASED Google Server/data provider and it will not go through as it did not originate from the US.

Its similar to trying to view BBC programs from the BBC website from the US - you cant. You have to use a UK based proxy to 'mask' your US-based IP address because the UK/BBC servers know where the request (what country) the data originates from and your request is blocked.

Upvote 0
I never said calling was free. I said text to and from US numbers is free. Calling is an entirely different animal.

You have no idea how Google Voice works. You should read up about it before you make these assumptions.

With all due respect, I think your lack of knowledge of networking isn't allowing you to grasp what I'm trying to explain.

The above example was to highlight to you that if your theory was correct (GoogleVoice cares not from where a call/text originates - its just concerned with US GV # to US GV #), then a UK user could sign-up for a US-based GV # and be able to call a US telephone with no issues. Basically, creating a free international calling card. This is not possible.

Same applies to texting. When the OP fires up GV in the UK (using his US # account), GV will 'talk' to the UK based servers and determine that he is trying to send a text from the UK to the US. The text will be blocked.

It all boils down to where the call/text originates. It matters not that the OP will be using a US GV#, he will be originating the text from the UK and that is not allowed in GV.

Upvote 0
As I said you have no idea how Google Voice works.

My friend travels overseas few times a year for work and we text with the same Google Voice number. And I'm not even talking about one country. He travels to around Europe and Asia and still using the same Google number.

You said it won't work, but I ask you have you even try it or you just assuming??

Upvote 0
I found this on a blog but haven't tried any yet...

For media professionals who travel a lot internationally and want to stay in touch without having to spend $.25 a text (or whatever your service charges), we’ve put together a list of apps that allow you to hold a text conversation internationally without paying international service fees.

Stay in touch with friends in Sweden, sources in China and family in Canada with these Android and iOS apps whose links and descriptions we’ve included below.

1. Viber: “Viber lets everyone in the world connect. Freely. More than 90 million Viber users call, text, and send photos worldwide – for free. Viber is available for Android devices and other smartphones. We are always introducing new features, platforms and possibilities. Viber is completely free with no advertising and we value your privacy.”

2. HeyWire: “HeyWire Free Text (SMS + MMS) Texting, Facebook Chat, Twitter, & Picture Messaging
Get a REAL US phone number FOR FREE anywhere in the world and start sending REAL texts (SMS). We’ve also included Twitter and Facebook Chat!”

3. KaKao: “No more texting overage, texting plans or any other hassles related to texting. KakaoTalk is a free smartphone messenger that allows users to send and receive messages including photos, and videos through one-on-one and group chats internationally.”

4. Vonage Mobile: “Vonage Mobile is a free mobile VoIP app that lets you make free high quality international calls and send free texts and photos to anyone else who has the app. Vonage Mobile also offers cheap international calls to any phone number worldwide.”

5. WhatsApp: “ Just like there is no added cost to send an international email, there is no cost to send WhatsApp messages internationally. Chat with your friends all over the world as long as they have WhatsApp Messenger installed and avoid those pesky international SMS costs.”

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones