• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best SMS messaging app?

+1 for GoSMS Pro...
Since day 1 of Android, I used Handcent (never even bothered with the stock messaging app). I didn't try anything else until 2 days ago - I tried GoSMS Pro.

I started to notice that Handcent was glitchy and slow (I would select one conversation, and it would open a completely different one - which caused many embarrassing texts to be sent). I also started to notice how long it would take to initially OPEN Handcent, which bugged me (especially when trying to show an iPhone user, a particular text I had received).
GoSMS Pro is MUCH faster, and smoother - it has ALL of the same features (with a few more). The interface is MUCH cleaner and straight forward, and there are MANY more themes to chose from...

I haven't tried Chomp, but I don't feel the need to (anymore).

Upvote 0
I've used Handcent and Go SMS, and at first, Handcent was my choice for its more polished look (fonts, speed, etc). And then I tried Go SMS Pro, and was won over.
The reasons:
a) gone is the ridiculously tiny preview screen that pops up if you enable it in Go SMS. Instead, adjusting the font size larger would mean a corresponding increase in overall window size.
b) Go SMS now has just about all the same customization options that only Handcent used to have
c) Go SMS's threaded mode has wider balloons, saving vertical screen space (Handcent's is narrower and more iPhone-like in appearance, which turns me off as I'm very anti-Apple)
d) the thing that won me over immediately was the option to flip the threaded mode into the traditional folders mode ala-Nokia, where one could save important messages to folders (as many as you can add, simply by tapping the "+" below the last folder)

All of that said, the newest Go SMS Pro has some bugs (relatively minor one): if threaded messages go beyond 15 messages, there is a likelihood that old messages from a few days ago will get interspersed with the current ones. I discovered this because I have my date/time settings to be indicated in every message balloon. Also, deleted threads from a few days ago have a puzzling habit of reappearing, even without me signing up for the backup and restore feature yet, although this happens seldom.

Upvote 0
Hi all

In all the SMS apps I've downloaded, and also in the stock one, the text messages are not displayed by order in a conversation.

I get a bunch of the other side's messages on the top, and under it a bunch of my messages.

I've tried to go to settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

what do I do?

I had this problem before, and I realized that my phone's time setting was about 6 minutes ahead of the network time settings. So a text message that was sent from my phone at 9:00 network time (9:06 in my phone) and received a reply at, say, 9:02 network time would show up behind my 9:06 message because my phone has already recorded the first sent message. Continue on a few text msgs back and forth, and you will get the effect you just reported.

Check your network's time and adjust your phone's time accordingly, and I bet the problem disappears.

Upvote 0
I had this problem before, and I realized that my phone's time setting was about 6 minutes ahead of the network time settings. So a text message that was sent from my phone at 9:00 network time (9:06 in my phone) and received a reply at, say, 9:02 network time would show up behind my 9:06 message because my phone has already recorded the first sent message. Continue on a few text msgs back and forth, and you will get the effect you just reported.

Check your network's time and adjust your phone's time accordingly, and I bet the problem disappears.

Thanks for the reply !

you mean to check the "Automatic- use network provided values" box in settings?
It's checked already !

or is it somewhere else?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply !

you mean to check the "Automatic- use network provided values" box in settings?
It's checked already !

or is it somewhere else?

No, not the "network provided values," your problem has nothing to do with that. Just change the time on your phone's clock. If that still doesn't do the trick, go to Go SMS's Settings > Important Tips > Disordered msgs and timestamps > Sort type of conversation msgs, then tick "Sort by order of messages sent/received" --that way, it won't matter to your phone even if your phone's clock isn't the same as the network's timestamp, it's gonna sort msgs by order of received, sent. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Haikuguy
Upvote 0
I moved from a Blackberry to a Droid about a year ago. While I love my Droid, there is one feature of the Blackberry Messenger that I miss terribly - the ability to choose multiple specific text messages and delete them. Blackberry had an option to "check" multiple messages and choose to delete them, or to delete all messages prior to a specific date. The stock Android app allows you to delete one at a time (time consuming), or all, but nothing in between.

Is there an Android messaging app that allows you to select specific multiple messages, but not all?

You don't need another app to do that in Android. Go SMS actually has that feature. From the inbox, click "Menu", then select "Batch Mode," you'll see little tick-boxes appear on every message.

Upvote 0
I moved from a Blackberry to a Droid about a year ago. While I love my Droid, there is one feature of the Blackberry Messenger that I miss terribly - the ability to choose multiple specific text messages and delete them. Blackberry had an option to "check" multiple messages and choose to delete them, or to delete all messages prior to a specific date. The stock Android app allows you to delete one at a time (time consuming), or all, but nothing in between.

Is there an Android messaging app that allows you to select specific multiple messages, but not all?

Yes! Go SMS allows you to select batch mode when in a conversation, then checkmark texts, then delete or copy. Plus, the skins are just damn pretty.

Upvote 0

You don't need another app to do that in Android. Go SMS actually has that feature. From the inbox, click "Menu", then select "Batch Mode," you'll see little tick-boxes appear on every message.

I have an epic 4G using the stock touchwiz ui, and when Im in a messaging thread, if I press "menu" > "more" > "delete messages" ... it pops up with a lil check box beside each message and I can select multiple messages to delete without deleting them all.

I'm a lil curious about go sms though, might give that a try.

Upvote 0
I have been using GoSMS for a while.. but I don't need that many features in an SMS app.

I have several SMS threads that are quite long.. in the thousands. I don't want to constantly be deleting SMS messages, but I do want an SMS app that opens FAST. GoSMS is waaay too laggy for me.

A bonus is if I can have iphone-style conversations. But really, my priority is a fast SMS, not one with a lot of neato features.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Can anyone explain how to set up any of the apps mentioned so that you can see all 160 allowed characters in the input box all at once without scrolling? In my opinion this is one of the most important features of an SMS app and not one of the apps I have seen so far seem to be able to do this.

I was asking myself the question, but I think one way to do this is to rotate the screen to landscape mode. Then you will only see the text you are typing without the application's multiple windows.

John

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

I have downloaded "Fox Private Message"(FPM) app. I am also using "GO SMS" for my normal SMS messages.

The thing is when i get an SMS from one of my private contacts on FPM i get a notification in my bar from GO SMS.

Is there any way to stop this notification from my private contact on GO SMS?

Thanks, I hope you understand my question.

Upvote 0
I'm using Handcent myself but I cant seem to find an option to limit the number of texts in a conversation!?!? :thinking:

Its suddenly become a bit of an issue due to the limited space on the internal storage and looking back I have a thread of almost 2000 texts with the missus which I dont want to keep but also dont want to lose the last 50 or so!

I've found an option to limit this in the stock SMS for my Desire but not within Handcent - can anyone point me in the right direction??

Upvote 0
been using handcent myself. just recently downloaded go sms pro and can say it is nicer without the ads and faster on my Inspire 4G... however, there is no lockscreen popup with go! handcent will show a pop up for quick reply when i get a text but go does not :( hoping they add this in.. the pop up shows but only AFTER i unlock the phone, or if i select to have GO auto unlock, something i don't want to do...

Upvote 0
I have used handcent, chomp, and gosms. My personal favorite is handcent. I like the fact that it shows contacts pics on every message (including your own). The only downside is that it opens slowly on my phone. So I replaced it with gosms for a faster opening. When I upgrade to a better phone with faster GPU and what have you, I will most likely go back to handcent.

Upvote 0
For some reason I ended up liking Chomp better than Handcent, but looks like I need to give GO a try. I don't text much. I see GO works on WiFi, that seems like a big plus (I don't think any of my message send with Chomp on WiFi).

edit: Liking GO SMS, but I can't get it work over WiFi (as it says it can in its description). Will it and if so how?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones