• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Star Gazer App?

Soundteq

May 1, 2012
I know there is a "best app" sticky but this category isn't on it, which is too bad because there are quite a handful of free and paid star gazer apps that offer a variety of different features.

People claim Google Sky is the best, but I just don't like it. I did however see an app on somebody's phone (I never got the name of it) that was amazing. He would point his phone at the sky and it would show you a normal view at first and then the constellation lines would fade in. It didn't show you ALL the constellations at once like Google Sky does either, it only faded the lines in of the constellation you were most centered on, and gave names of the stars/planets and such.

I wish I knew what that app was. I've looked but had no luck finding it on the market (unless it's paid, I haven't tried those).

Anyway, what is your favorite star gazer app? And perhaps this is a category worth adding to the "best app" sticky?

SkEye does what Sky did. Orion Telescopes has a bino adapter so you can use the app with binos. Some also use it with push-to telescopes.

I like it for faint areas in the city, and also when overwhelmed by stars at a dark site. I star hop or use geometry as I have a widefield scope and an alt-az mount for a grab and go.

Mobile Planetarium also has a live view.

Sky Safari and a few of the more advanced apps will control a go-to scope.

Mobile Planetarium also has a live solar view, at least of the sun spots. I wish it would do H-Alpha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones