• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Tablet for a college student?

Rehmsmeyer

Lurker
Aug 28, 2012
I'm primarily looking for a tablet to take notes on and possible view ebooks. I'd really like for the tablet be easy to read from typing distance on a desk and there be a keyboard accesory (sold seperately is fine) that is easy to type on (i.e. not too tiny to type on or hard to get used to). I do not care about cameras or too much storage because I have a Razr Maxx and a laptop that take care of both of this just fine. I would just go buy the Nexus 7, but I do not know how hard that screen is to read and if the keyboard is too tiny to type on. Lastly, I'd like it to be under $350, but if it is great I can pay a little extra. So, does anyone have any input about the Nexus 7 or any alternatives?

Thanks,

CMR

I'm liking the Galaxy Note 10.1. It's the smoothest experience I've had so far with an Android tablet - speed and stability have been really good so far.

It comes with a pen, which is much more accurate than your typical stylus. I use it with papyrus to take notes. Very nice, having my notes in PDF. Reviews have been pretty mixed for it though. You might want to try it out at best buy first if you can.

Upvote 0
I think you would love the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 student edition. It's inexpensive and comes with great accessories. I have it and love that i can expand the memory if i want to. It comes with an awesome keyboard and media device for use with a USB flash drive to upload items. I love it and think you will too.

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys, for all of the quick responses. It seems to come down to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 student edition or Nexus 7 and Bluetooth keyboard. Even though it's only $50 more, I would probably just get the 8g version and use that extra $50 to get a decent keyboard (already did some research). Both ways it would be ~$250 total. As reading the 7" screen is concerned, I just want to be able to see what I'm typing from about a foot and a half away; and if like chanchan05 says, I should be fine. I believe the 8g Nexus 7 would be fine, because I have an old 8g iPod touch and it was 80% filled with music and still fine on storage. So between apps and textbook pdf's, 8g would be okay.

TLDR; Speed is a little more of a concern to me than the external storage, so is the Nexus 7 considerably faster than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0?

Upvote 0
The size of the font for the 7 inch tab is somewhat similar to that of a laptop (I own a Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus) on default font setting. Of course you can always get a new larger font anyway.

I would honestly think that storage is an issue. PDF textbooks take up a lot of space. My Tab is filled with books and it takes about 5GB storage.

As for speed, yes a Nexus 7 is way faster than a Tab 2 7.0...The N7 has quad core against the Tab2's dual core.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones