• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

below_radar_00

Apr 2, 2010
Charleston, SC
Okay, there are so many freaking tablets on the market it seems. What do you guys think is the best but still under $300. I've heard the Nook once rooted is good, I've also heard Archos 7. I see there's some 10.2" tablet on Amazon for under $300 and there's one made by Coby as well. I know I should look for Android 2.1 or better and probably at least an 800mhz processor. Please chime in or direct me to a website with some benchmark comparisons. I currently have a Droid Incredible, rooted with CM7 nightlies so I'm very familiar with Android.

Okay, there are so many freaking tablets on the market it seems. What do you guys think is the best but still under $300. I've heard the Nook once rooted is good, I've also heard Archos 7. I see there's some 10.2" tablet on Amazon for under $300 and there's one made by Coby as well. I know I should look for Android 2.1 or better and probably at least an 800mhz processor. Please chime in or direct me to a website with some benchmark comparisons. I currently have a Droid Incredible, rooted with CM7 nightlies so I'm very familiar with Android.

Best is a relative term. But ... what about the eLocity A7? Here's the link to it on Amazon: Amazon.com: eLocity A7 Touchscreen 7-Inch Android 2.2 Tablet (Black): Computer & Accessories

Reactions: below_radar_00
Upvote 0

The Viewsonic G Tablet is a nice one, with a Tegra 2 and 512 MB of RAM. 16GB of on-board storage, USB host, easy to re-ROM. Preloaded with 2.2.

It's viewing angles can kind of suck, and it's a bit hefty, but an all-around nice tablet.

Reactions: below_radar_00
Upvote 0
Best is relative. Let me outline a few things that I think would be important and you guys tell me what tabs you know have these features:

Processor: At least 1ghz
RAM: At least 512mb
Screen: Capacitive and 7 inches, not really liking the 5's or the 10's
Ports: USB is a must and I would also prefer an HDMI but it's not necessary

It looks like that A7 fits this so far. The Archos 70 looks nice but it doesn't seem to have enough RAM. And the Nook Color is sweet but no USB or HDMI. Anything else out there besides the A7? Anybody have any experiences with the A7 they would like to share? :)

Upvote 0

I've been looking the past couple months and it appears that the Nook Color can't be beat. It's the only $250 tablet that has the following:

1. 1024x600 capacitive touch display
2. 512 MB RAM
3. 1.1GHz CPU (when using a custom ROM).

It's missing an HDMI port and cameras. The cheapest tablets I've seen with the capabilities of the Nook Color that have these are double the price.

If anyone know so of such a tablet that costs no more than $300, please let me know.

Upvote 0
I've been looking the past couple months and it appears that the Nook Color can't be beat. It's the only $250 tablet that has the following:

1. 1024x600 capacitive touch display
2. 512 MB RAM
3. 1.1GHz CPU (when using a custom ROM).

It's missing an HDMI port and cameras. The cheapest tablets I've seen with the capabilities of the Nook Color that have these are double the price.

If anyone know so of such a tablet that costs no more than $300, please let me know.

The Acer iconia A100 has

GENERAL 2G Network N/A
Announced 2011, February
Status Available. Released 2011, April
BODY Dimensions 195 x 117 x 13.1 mm
Weight 450 g
DISPLAY Type LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)
Multitouch Yes
* - Acer UI
SOUND Alert types N/A
Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers
3.5mm jack Yes
* - Dolby mobile sound enhancement
MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 32GB, buy memory
Internal 8/16 GB storage, 512 MB RAM
DATA GPRS No
EDGE No
Speed No
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi hotspot
Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP, EDR
USB Yes, microUSB v2.0
CAMERA Primary 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Features Geo-tagging, image stabilization
Video Yes, 720p@30fps, VGA@60fps
Secondary Yes, 2 MP
FEATURES OS Android OS, v3.0 (Honeycomb), upgradable to v3.2 (September)
Chipset Nvidia Tegra 2 T20
CPU Dual-core 1 GHz Cortex-A9
GPU ULP GeForce
Sensors Accelerometer, gyro, compass
Messaging Email, Push Email, IM
Browser HTML, Adobe Flash
Radio No
GPS Yes
Java Yes, via Java MIDP emulator
Colors Black/Red, Black/Blue
* - SNS integration
- HDMI port
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail
- YouTube, Google Talk, Picasa integration
- MP3/WAV/WMA/eAAC+ player
- XviD/MP4/H.264/H.263 player
- Organizer
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- Predictive text input
BATTERY * Standard battery, Li-Po 1530 mAh

Upvote 0
How important is namebrand?
I've been looking into the tablets on merimobiles.com and actually, purchased one last night to check out ($255 with the shipping from Canada).
It's a Meiying 8" (M11 model) has standard size USB (OTG) port AND a microSD port, 1G RAM, 16G storage, front-facing landscape speakers, 1024x768 res, but is only Android 2.3
These were all the things I wanted in one smaller sized tablet (I wanted a 7" but this one is 8" and that should be fine).

I was after a Toshiba 7" but I've been nit-picky about the features I want and I found that MOST of the no-namebrands have the features but have low resolution and less than 1G RAM. But finally on merimobiles I found budget tablets with all the specs and all the features I want! They also offer free shipping (and two upgrades). I paid $16 to have it arrive by January 5th.

It's got a lot of great reviews online, though very little on YouTube. But I bit anyway.

Best Luck finding "the one!"

EDIT: Also, I find it worthy to note that merimobiles has a 1-year warranty on their devices!

Upvote 0
How important is namebrand?
I've been looking into the tablets on merimobiles.com and actually, purchased one last night to check out ($255 with the shipping from Canada).
It's a Meiying 8" (M11 model) has standard size USB (OTG) port AND a microSD port, 1G RAM, 16G storage, front-facing landscape speakers, 1024x768 res, but is only Android 2.3
These were all the things I wanted in one smaller sized tablet (I wanted a 7" but this one is 8" and that should be fine).

I was after a Toshiba 7" but I've been nit-picky about the features I want and I found that MOST of the no-namebrands have the features but have low resolution and less than 1G RAM. But finally on merimobiles I found budget tablets with all the specs and all the features I want! They also offer free shipping (and two upgrades). I paid $16 to have it arrive by January 5th.

It's got a lot of great reviews online, though very little on YouTube. But I bit anyway.

Best Luck finding "the one!"

EDIT: Also, I find it worthy to note that merimobiles has a 1-year warranty on their devices!

IMO, the value in getting a "namebrand" tablet is getting support. It's easier to find answers to questions or help if needed when it's a namebrand tablet. It's quite hard to find answers to the simpliest questions when trying to fix something that goes wrong with a generic tablet. Also, build quality may be an issue too. Of course this is my opinion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones