Best tethering method?Support

1. affenzeit

affenzeit Active Member

So, on my LG Thrill I used the entitlement check method for tethering, but I haven't found that option for the Spectrum yet. Does this same method exist for Verizon? Is there an option besides 3rd party apps? Looking for some feedback on best method for this phone.

Advertisement
  2. coderaz

coderaz Well-Known Member

If you are rooted, WiFi Tether for Root is still the best option that I have found so far. Barnacle and OpenGarden both had problems with the WiFi stack on the Specturm.
  3. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Wifi Tether is good if you don't want a cord, but it's slow from what I've found. I use EasyTether most, but the free app doesn't do SSL sites, so keep that in mind. I haven't tested it yet, but Klink is a new app that claims to be faster than others.
    coderaz likes this.
  4. claire t

claire t Member

I've been using PDA Net since my original Palm days. Works great all of the time. Often use it when internet out at home.
  5. Neph81

Neph81 Well-Known Member

Ditto for PDAnet as well. It took a try or two, but that was because AVG didn't want to play nice with it. Now it works with no issues.
  6. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Yep, pdanet is another good one, but I think easytether is cheaper for full access... Don't quote me on that, though.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3
  7. coderaz

I've had good results with WiFi tether. Never saw any showed problems.
  8. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Did you get the same speeds as with an app like easytether? It was far slower for me.

9. artcwolf

artcwolf Well-Known Member

Looking for a good free wireless one.
  10. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

11. artcwolf

i'm not smart enough to install something lol.

I tried using the one i got from Velocity on my LG Ally and it launches but with errors :(
  12. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

It might not work with that device. I wouldn't consider the app not working as a sign of your failure :)

13. coderaz

I just used WiFi Tether for root this morning. Was fast enough to rdp to my home server with full graphics and a crappy cable connection. :)
  14. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Well I guess it was my location. I'll give another go this week when I'm out of town.

15. tater259

tater259 Active Member

Im using a old version of easy tether and works for me just isnt fast. Im getting 38mb/s download on my phone but only average about 7 mb/s tethered. When I try to connect to modem it says it cant sense im connected to 4g so im guessing thats why its slower. It will only connect through ethernet how can I make it connect to modem on the phone?
  16. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I think they fixed some issues like that with 1.0. The speed is really dependent on the app, so try klink.. The devs claim its faster than other tether apps.

17. coderaz

I'm confused. Are you trying to accomplish a hard wire tether to your phone? Is there any reason why you aren't using WiFi for tethering?
  18. tater259

tater259 Active Member

Yes im using usb tether and for some reason wont let me select modem on my phone cause its in 4g mode to tether. I dont wifi tether cause im un-rooted
  19. coderaz

20. tater259

tater259 Active Member

21. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

I've got a copy of Koush's tether, but haven't ever tried it. I've heard good things, though.
  22. tater259

tater259 Active Member

Anyone else that usb tethers have the problem I do? Probably better off to root just need to research how to do so .
  23. MrB206

MrB206 Well-Known Member

His tether doesn't require root and uses a different method than the root apps, so the speed might be slower. I haven't tested so I can't say for sure.

24. artcwolf

MrB, how do i install the apk's for wifi tether for root? It's on my phone from TB off my LG ally, it's version 2.0.7 and worked well installed on Velocity. i didn't install the wired version with it could that be part of the problem?

When i turn it on it get the following errors in the log.

loading wlan.ko.module...
    failed

activating WiFi interface...
    failed