• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best totally FREE Games

Kasper Hviid

Jun 26, 2009
I think it would be nice with a thread about good freeware games. I will stay clear of any "lite" versions, since I hate and despise them!

Okay, here are a few games:

Bonsai Blast
6.9 MB

A freebie from Glu Mobile. It is one of these games where you have to shoot some balls with the same color. The game is controlled by clicking on the ball you want to shoot.

Bonsai Blast is extremely well-polished, with good animations, music and sound effects. For some reason I didn't really get addicted, but the game is quite enjoyable.

bonsaiblast.jpg

Brain Genius Deluxe
6.06 MB

Yet another Glu Mobile freebie. The game features some cartoony professor which kind of reminds me of really cheap first grade edutainment. The professor told me to enter my name for my profile. I guess I failed first grade, since I couldn't enter my damn name. The keyboard just wouldn't show up.

But some say the game is quite good.

Trap!
548 KB

This game is written by Matt Wachowski. It is one of the games where you have to fill the screen with boxes and avoid colliding with the small moving balls. The game has 7 different kind of bonuses and some extra game modes.

The lines for the boxes are build by dragging your finger vertically or horizontally across the screen. The touch screen is not optimal for such precise tasks, but it works.

The scoring for each level is calculated by multiplying Time Bonus, Item Bonus, Isolated Balls, Area Bonus and >80% Bonus. This add an extra aspect to the game, but I find it a bit frustrating to keep track of all this scoring bureaucracy, instead of just playing the game.

The game has no sound, but I don't really feel that it misses this. The graphic are quite okay, especially considering its small size.

Overall, the game is good and quite addictive.

trap.jpg

Andoku
632 KB

An Open Source Soduko game, written by Markus Wiederkehr. It has lotsa features and special game modes. A good download if you like Soduko.

andoku.png

3rd Eye

I downloaded it, but couldn't type my name ...

AndTangle
93 kb

Written by Nicolas Gramlich

Nice little brain teaster. The goal is to untangle a web, so that none of the lines overlaps. The game seems to be based on something called planar graphs.

Permissions:
Network communication -- full internet access

andtangle.jpg

Sand Blaster
324 kb

Written by Logan Hanks

This is the well-known toy called The Falling Sand Game. The game has a few flaws - the play area has a very low resolution, and the frame rate is rather slow. Also the game speed cannot be controlled. This is sad, because it seems good otherwise. There are different drawing tools, variable size of the strokes, and zooming.

sandblaster.jpg

Sokoban
328 kb

Written by John Nell

Sokoban, controlled with trackball or fingertouch. I kind of miss the four arrow keys.

The bad thing is that the game claims that I have a keyboard on my phone, and want me to press "U" when I want to undo a move.

sokoban.jpg

Zombie, Run!
148 kb

Written by Peter Dolan

Using the GPS, this application places zombies at random spots in a map. The player can then walk/run a certain route in his neighborhood, while trying to avoid the zombies.

The zombies are just colored sprites, which to some degree resembles a human being. But it's truly fun, and very much unlike anything else.

Permissions:
Your location -- fine (GPS) location

zombiesrun.jpg

Doom for Android (FREE)
1.38 MB

An Open Source port of Doom. It downloads the wad and sound files from Doom over the internet, so that the application itself doesn't break any copyright laws. Smart move.

This game has everything except controls! It is somewhat impossible to play this game using on-screen arrow keys and the trackball.

But playable or not, who doesn't want to have Doom on their mobile?

Permissions:

doomm.jpg

Lumbricidae
132 KB

Written by Amoneron

This game gets boring far too fast. This is sad, because it really shows some potentials.

Lets you control a work which tries to escape from the rising water. The worm is controlled by the accelerometer. It's movement is really smooth for a digital worm.

The levels are randomly generated, and there are four different game types: Normal, Rock, Lava and Snow. No sound.

Permissions:
System Tools -- prevent phone from sleeping

lumbricidae.jpg

Papipole
452 KB

Written by Sunflat

Balance and move a lollipop by dragging it with your finger. Avoid the needle-balls! Capture the hamburgers!

Pretty fun game! It got a lot of negative comments, most likely because it is kind of hard.

Permissions:

papipole.jpg

Spark
120 KB

By Diota Soft.

This application transform your phone into one of them plasma ball: When you touch the screen, lightning appears between your fingers and the edge of your screen. And it vibrates too!

When turning on Ghost Mode, the application shows your normal desktop. But if anyone tries to use the screen, all they get is lightning.

On top of this, the color of the lightning can be adjusted!

spark.jpg

Ghost AR
4.01 MB

Written by Aliaksandr Bukunovich.

It seems that AR stands for "Augmented Reality" - which is when real time footage is combined with CGI.

The game lets you shoots at ghosts using the camera phone. It is very polished for a free game, but doesn't have enough gameplay value. Nevertheless, it is very much worth a look!

Permissions:
Your location -- coarse (network-based) location
Hardware control -- take pictures

Tilt Lander
152 KB

Written by Moonblink

Very nice simulation. Use the accelerometer to land the spacecraft. The landing will need to be perfect or you will crash. Its pretty hard, but I did it.

Mystique Chapter 1: Foetus
2.37 MB

Created by bendroid

mystiquea.png

Mystique Chapter 1 is free, but chapter 2 is not. So the game can't be said to be "totally" free. Nevertheless I think it belongs in this thread. But only because it is good.

Mystique is a good old adventure game - you know, those game where you have to use the tape to repair your glasses so you can read the code to the box which holds the key to the trapdoor which ... that kind of game.

The puzzles are (in my opinion) just as hard as it should be. Challenging, but not so much that you search for a walkthru.

The game is in 3D, with a first person perspective. The controls are good -- not as fluid as in FPS games, but still okay.

It has a heavy horror theme, which is cool. I would suggest playing it in the dark.

The graphic and sound is pretty good for a mobile game (see screenshot) and I don't really have anything negative to say. Only that it is too short.

Permissions:
System Tools -- prevent phone from sleeping

Upvote 0
hey guys
if you want to open the virtual keyboard on the htc magic just press and hold the hardware menu button

edit:
didnt see post above

edit 2:
2 player reactor (great reaction game for 2 players)
Cavedroid (3D first person helicopter)
Light Racer 3d (Tron in 3D)
Abduction (Platform jumping game that in my opinion is better than PapiJump)

edit 3:
just heard about air control, and it is VERY good and addicting. graphics are cartoony, and are pretty nice. runs really smooth on my magic

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones