• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best touch phone for women with fingernails?

Most phones now-a-days have capacitive touch screens. This means they respond to thing that are conductors. Unfortunately, fingernails are not conductors. I believe they make styluses that work with capacitive touch screen, though.

My advice? Line your fingernails with some sort of conductive material so they work with the touch screens.

I was, uh, kidding about the fingernail thing, by the way...

Reactions: Chrisy418
Upvote 0
I will definitely want the keyboard however I am sure that I am not the only woman with fingernails that feels sorta slighted by this. My nails aren't that long, but it is frustrating trying to use the touch screen. Currently I have the LG Voyager (yes I know, ancient by now!) but I can use my fingertip OR my fingernail on the touch screen, both work. I don't know why the technical folks at these companies don't take this into consideration when coming up with new products. Perhaps they can make a new product that gives you the option of using touch OR stylus.....just sayin'...

Upvote 0
I will definitely want the keyboard however I am sure that I am not the only woman with fingernails that feels sorta slighted by this. My nails aren't that long, but it is frustrating trying to use the touch screen. Currently I have the LG Voyager (yes I know, ancient by now!) but I can use my fingertip OR my fingernail on the touch screen, both work. I don't know why the technical folks at these companies don't take this into consideration when coming up with new products. Perhaps they can make a new product that gives you the option of using touch OR stylus.....just sayin'...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Capacitive vs Resistive screens... Fingernails (or a stylus) tend to work better with resistive screens but most people prefer using their fingertips and that lends to Capacitive screens.

There's no easy solution to this...

Upvote 0

I have th lg dare and broke th charging port so i went to upgrade to on of the new smart phones and ran in to the same problem. i have called lg and also verizon as lg said verizon requested this and the verizon people said well everyone is going with that!! I can not use the keyboard on teh lg cosmos, too slippery and you have to push too hard on the buttons so I send my lg dare back for repair and can not wait to get it back. I agree they should make th screen an optional touch or stylus!! Call lg and complain. they dont know if we dont tell them . Also complain to verizon!!:mad:

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you on this!! I have three Dares and love them, i buy them off the internet so I always have a working phone. When will the phone companies realize that women with fingernails need phones too. the keyboards are to slick and my nails slide right off them so I keep my dare and hope that one day the phone companies will wake up!! I too got that same runaround that verizon requested this but that is bs cause all carriers have the same issue. I also agree that they should give the use the option to use the screen the way we want to! Hopefully one day they will figure it out

Upvote 0
I am currently helping my fiance familiarize herself with touch phone. I have an htc EVO 4g, as well as a samsung transform. She likes to use her fingernails rather than her finger tips...though i remind her the wear and tear is costly using her fingernails . . . jokingly! . . . it seemed though that the EVO was more responsive. Just to add our experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones