Best touch phone for women with fingernails?

Last Updated:

1. Chrisy418

Chrisy418 New Member

Hi there - new to the forum here and looking to enter the world of the Droid. I have fingernails and wondered which phone might be the best touch screen - stylus supported perhaps? Anyone have any suggestions?:confused:

2. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Most phones now-a-days have capacitive touch screens. This means they respond to thing that are conductors. Unfortunately, fingernails are not conductors. I believe they make styluses that work with capacitive touch screen, though.

My advice? Line your fingernails with some sort of conductive material so they work with the touch screens.

I was, uh, kidding about the fingernail thing, by the way...
    Chrisy418 likes this.
  3. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Chrisy418 likes this.
  4. davidnmegan6907

davidnmegan6907 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the android forums glad to have you here.
    Chrisy418 likes this.
  5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

6. Chrisy418

Chrisy418 New Member

I will definitely want the keyboard however I am sure that I am not the only woman with fingernails that feels sorta slighted by this. My nails aren't that long, but it is frustrating trying to use the touch screen. Currently I have the LG Voyager (yes I know, ancient by now!) but I can use my fingertip OR my fingernail on the touch screen, both work. I don't know why the technical folks at these companies don't take this into consideration when coming up with new products. Perhaps they can make a new product that gives you the option of using touch OR stylus.....just sayin'...
  7. mrsbelpit

mrsbelpit Well-Known Member

I have fingernails, and I have no problem with the touch screen on my vibrant. I think you have to just have a screen big enough to use the pad of your finger, so 4"+

I love swype, in landscape mode the keys are quite large.
  8. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the wonderful world of Capacitive vs Resistive screens... Fingernails (or a stylus) tend to work better with resistive screens but most people prefer using their fingertips and that lends to Capacitive screens.

There's no easy solution to this...
  9. mary c

mary c New Member

I have th lg dare and broke th charging port so i went to upgrade to on of the new smart phones and ran in to the same problem. i have called lg and also verizon as lg said verizon requested this and the verizon people said well everyone is going with that!! I can not use the keyboard on teh lg cosmos, too slippery and you have to push too hard on the buttons so I send my lg dare back for repair and can not wait to get it back. I agree they should make th screen an optional touch or stylus!! Call lg and complain. they dont know if we dont tell them . Also complain to verizon!!:mad:
  10. mary c

mary c New Member

I totally agree with you on this!! I have three Dares and love them, i buy them off the internet so I always have a working phone. When will the phone companies realize that women with fingernails need phones too. the keyboards are to slick and my nails slide right off them so I keep my dare and hope that one day the phone companies will wake up!! I too got that same runaround that verizon requested this but that is bs cause all carriers have the same issue. I also agree that they should give the use the option to use the screen the way we want to! Hopefully one day they will figure it out
  11. kalidonit

kalidonit Member

I am currently helping my fiance familiarize herself with touch phone. I have an htc EVO 4g, as well as a samsung transform. She likes to use her fingernails rather than her finger tips...though i remind her the wear and tear is costly using her fingernails . . . jokingly! . . . it seemed though that the EVO was more responsive. Just to add our experience.