Best Twitter app for the Desire?

1. westbros

westbros Well-Known Member

I am considering taking the plunge into the world of Twitter, but am confused about the array of different apps available. I have done a bit of research, and one of my concerns is that some of the app reviews mention that the app becomes a bit of a behemoth weighing in at over 100 MB, which for us on the Desire is a major concern unless the app can be installed on th SD card. I currently have around 70 MB available, but do not want to go too low as I want enough space to allow system updates etc. What app would you recommend for Twitter on the Desire that has good functionality and doesn't hog your available memory? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi,
    im using twica - i only use it in a very basic way as not a mssive tweeter, but i like it because it alerts me to new tweets
    cheers
    dan
  3. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Active Member

tweetdeck
  4. westbros

I've heard recommendations about an app called Twidroyd. Any comments on that one?

And is it true that the official Twitter for Android app takes up so much space?

Do these apps have settings like on Facebook where you can regulate how often they update? Do they eat battery for breakfast?

Thanks for your help! :)
  5. jimeller

jimeller Well-Known Member

1. Yep I use Twidroyd Pro. Ive also tried every other twitter app out there, but find this one to be the best. I especially like the live preview option.

2. Dunno, uninstalled it ages ago.

3. Yes they have settings, no I dont think they are big battery drainers providing you dont update every 30 secs!
  6. StevenChap

StevenChap Well-Known Member

Tweetdeck is good cause it allows you to use facebook, foursquare, buzz, twitter and whatever else you use all in one client, so you can post 1 post to 4 different things.

I personally use the Twitter for Android cause its far more stable and I have 1 twitter account so I dont need multiple ones
  7. westbros

Thanks for this. I don't think I need Tweetdeck as I already use Facebook for Android. I also don't anticipate needing multiple accounts. For starters I am more likely to just follow the tweets of others rather than tweeting myself, so I just need the basic features. How much space does Twitter for Android take up on your phone?
  8. Nasalhair

Nasalhair Well-Known Member

Tweetdeck for me. You can add your Twitter and Facebook accounts into it and the two streams will appear together in a single column, FB updates on a blue background. You can make new posts to both or either systems, even making a post and telling it to go to both at once - e.g. a status update, or just send them to one on its own. You can view comments, posted pictures, your friend lists, post replies, upload stuff... It works brilliantly. The only thing you don't get is Facebook Chat, but as I'm not 13 I'm not interested in that :)
  9. StevenChap

StevenChap Well-Known Member

At most Ive saw it go to 7mb, I usually just clear the data cause basically nothing gets deleted and only thing it does is log you out and wipe that 7mb of tweets and display pics
  10. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

11. HYCAET

HYCAET Guest

12. rwleigh

rwleigh Well-Known Member

Twidroyd Pro ftw...
  13. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

I use the official one, does the job for what I use Twitter for
  14. JayJayW

JayJayW Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with the official one, but I've just had to uninstall and reinstall it because it suddenly stopped updating tweets. Works fine again now.
  15. yenrod

yenrod Well-Known Member

I like Tweetdeck app. and dabr on the wap.

Twitter for Android is massive in size.

Tho i cant log into that for some reason now lol

Plume/Toiteur is good; as is Twicca also - Tweetcasters a good alternative too.
  16. kredda

kredda Active Member

Twidroyd Pro by far the best...
  17. westbros

Thanks for all the replies. Have gone for Twidroyd (free) for now and will see how it performs. Looking good so far.
  18. Moh1336

Moh1336 Member

For the widget I use the default HTC one as I just like the sleek look to it.

But if I am actively using twitter I use Seesmic.
  19. westbros

OK, I have downloaded and installed the free version (4.3) of Twidroyd and I have a problem already. I had the standard widget set up on one of my home screens and everything was working fine. Then suddenly the widget stopped working and disappeared from the home screen (other than a message saying there was a problem with the widget). I deleted the widget from the screen and then tried to reinstall it - but it no longer appears in the list of available widgets. Previously there were 3 options: standard, small and large. Now there are none. I wondered whether this was due to me having moved the app to the SD card, so I moved it back the the phone, but the widgets are still not on the list. On the Twidroid support centre it says:

"Hint: If your widgets disappear, try storing Twidroyd in your phone's internal memory rather than on your sdcard: Settings (under the "..." button - you may have to scroll) > Other Settings > Use SDCard to Store Application (UNcheck this box)."

I have tried this too, but with no effect. Any suggestions?
  20. Casual Pete

Casual Pete Well-Known Member

Uninstall then reinstall,move the app to phone memory then add widget.
  21. Savvyray

Savvyray Active Member

No problems with Twidroyd. I like the reverse background and color options it gives you.
  22. tuffcheez

tuffcheez Well-Known Member

Tweetcaster.
  23. jacks smith

jacks smith Member

mostly i use twitter and twitpic
  24. westbros

Thanks for the advice. Did that and everything seems to be OK now. :) It just means that I've lost a few more MB on my internal memory. :(
  25. ianb11

ianb11 Well-Known Member

I use the standard Twitter for Android which isn't quite as good as it was after the recent update but I still like it a lot.

The only downside for me is that amount of data it stores which needs clearing on a regular basis.