• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best upgrade options?

Lagos

Jun 12, 2010
So, I've had my Eris for a year now and verizon is letting me upgrade to a new phone for the discounted price early for some reason. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do or what phone to go with. The eris has been good to me, but as we all know its far from perfect so Im tempted to jump on the upgrade.

My initial thought was to go with the Iphone4. The only thing that holds me back from this phone is that it doesnt really seem to tether or have turn by turn navigation like my rooted eris does.

Besides that I've looked into the Incredible2, but I don't know if I would want another phone with sense... don't get me wrong, I like sense, but it just makes the phone feel too similar to my Eris.

So anyway, any opinions on the iphone or other andriod phones that I should look into?

I probably wouldn't go for an iPhone4 only because it's getting older. If you want an iPhone, I'd wait for the next iPhone to be released. That being said, nobody has any idea when the next iPhone will be released.

If you want android, then it all depends on what is important to you. Is 4g important? Dual core? Do you want both? If you want both, you'll have wait since verizon doesn't have a phone like that currently.

If you want dual core, the Droid X2 is your only current option. If you want 4g, the Thunderbolt, Droid Charge, or Revolution will be what you're looking for. Check out the forums for each device to find out more about them.

Upvote 0
You make a good point. I don't think 4g is that big of a deal for me. 3g seems to be fine for most things...but while we are on the topic, does verizon charge extra for 4g, or is it just included in your 3g data plan?

I did kind of like the droid x2 when I was checking it out at the store, but I really have to decide if I want something that large or not as a phone.

Upvote 0
My initial thought was to go with the Iphone4. The only thing that holds me back from this phone is that it doesnt really seem to tether

Yes, it does. You can add mobile hotspot to your plan if you have an iPhone. I think it allows 6 attached devices - maybe it's 4?

or have turn by turn navigation like my rooted eris does.

It does with an app, I believe. You can also add VZNavigator for $5 a month.

Besides that I've looked into the Incredible2, but I don't know if I would want another phone with sense... don't get me wrong, I like sense, but it just makes the phone feel too similar to my Eris.

I am very unexcited by the Inc2. I'm not sure that I would want to commit to
a two year contract to this phone.

So anyway, any opinions on the iphone or other andriod phones that I should look into?

Unless my Eris spits the bit, I am personally waiting until the fall. There is a strong rumor that there will be an iPhone 5 coming in the fall. It may not be coming to Verizon, and it sounds as if it will probably not be 4G. However, with the iOS5 upgrade coming with better notifications and no more necessity to cable connect to sync or backup the phone, the only thing about the iPhone 4 that I hate is the glass back (such a dumb design, IMHO). The size, however, is perfect, and the display is fantastic. I hope that rumors of a thinner iPhone 5 with an aluminum back are true. We'll see, I guess.

But, beyond the iPhone 5, I am very unexcited by all of the current Android phones as well. None of them I would feel comfortable committing to for 20 to 24 months. I am hoping that there will be better handsets by the end of the summer myself.

Upvote 0
Yes, it does. You can add mobile hotspot to your plan if you have an iPhone. I think it allows 6 attached devices - maybe it's 4?

I guess I mean a free way of doing it. I already pay way too much for my cell phone service and think that "unlimited" internet access should mean just that. Its like as if your normal ISP charged you extra for every computer on your home network. Its ridiculous!

Does anyone know what verizon phones come with android 2.3?

Upvote 0
Gingerbread is rumored for the Thunderbolt by the end of the month. The Xperia Play has it, I think the Droid X has it. I think that's it.

Oh yeah, baby, the Droid X has it, LOL :D ;) [we've had GB leaks for a few months and the official OTA came out a few weeks ago].

There are 2.3/GB leaks out there for the other Moto Droid-class phones too (Droid 2 Global, Pro, etc.), so these phones should be getting GB pretty soon.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
So after a bit of research and watching countless of youtube reviews, I went to the verizon store to play around with the phones.

I first looked at the Droid X2, but was not impressed. Its just too big, and for something thats supposed to have a blazing fast dual core processor... it just felt choppy (at least the store demo unit did). I decided it wasnt for me due to its size and the motoblur UI.

Then I checked out the thunderbolt. Its a nice looking phone, but the reports of awful battery life had me turned off from the start.

So it basically came down to the Incredible2 and the iphone4. The Iphone felt very polished and smooth at everything it did, but at the same time it felt too simple and boring compared to the incredible. The screen was also not that much bigger than the Eris when I placed both phones side by side which was a letdown. In the end I chose the incredible because of the bigger 4in screen, google navigation (iphone lacks this), and reportedly excellent battery life.

The only downside I see to the incredible2 is that it has yet to be rooted (hopefully that is fixed soon), and that it comes with a lot of junk apps installed by verizon that cant be removed. Once the rooting issue is fixed, I think this is going to be one of the best phones on the market. I will let you guys know how it compares to the Eris once I get my phone in the mail. :)

Upvote 0
HOw did you manage to get an early upgrade? My two year is up in October and I begged Verizon to allow me to upgrate Dinc2, but they refuse, although I am in really good standing, payng bills etc So what's the secret?
Peter

If you are twenty months in to a two year contract, you should be eligible for an upgrade, and, in fact, for one last "new every two" upgrade. The VZW web site, if you log in to your account, will tell you if you are upgrade-eligible.

Upvote 0
If you are twenty months in to a two year contract, you should be eligible for an upgrade, and, in fact, for one last "new every two" upgrade. The VZW web site, if you log in to your account, will tell you if you are upgrade-eligible.

I went to the VZW store and the guy told me the one year upgrade option of for people with family plan :(
My october upgrade date already has the 4 months "early" option...

Peter

Upvote 0
I went to the VZW store and the guy told me the one year upgrade option of for people with family plan :(
My october upgrade date already has the 4 months "early" option...

Oh, so then your contract date is actually February then? The 20 month is October?

The good news is that there will probably be better phones at the same prices in October than there are now.

Upvote 0
Oh, so then your contract date is actually February then? The 20 month is October?

The good news is that there will probably be better phones at the same prices in October than there are now.

Doogald, you are right: yes and yes.
At the moment Dinc2 seems the ideal choice for me. As for a better phone: IMO, the one thing the could make phones much better is to improve the camera quality. But I feel that without having a *real* lens in the phone there is a little chance to that.

Upvote 0
If I desperately had to buy any phone right now, I would buy the Inc2, but I'm not 100% pleased with that phone. I don't love any of the LTE handsets right now, but in playing with the Inc2 at the store a couple of months ago - meh, it felt not all that fast, not all that beautiful a display. If the iPhone 4 did not have a glass back, I might get that instead - that does have a really good camera, and iOS5 will finally fix that terrible notification problem with iOS.

I'm still hoping that this fall will bring a better handset - one especially without a too-large 4.3" display. Do people who design these phones ever carry them in pockets? I know that I do.

Upvote 0
If I desperately had to buy any phone right now, I would buy the Inc2, but I'm not 100% pleased with that phone. I don't love any of the LTE handsets right now, but in playing with the Inc2 at the store a couple of months ago - meh, it felt not all that fast, not all that beautiful a display. If the iPhone 4 did not have a glass back, I might get that instead - that does have a really good camera, and iOS5 will finally fix that terrible notification problem with iOS.

I'm still hoping that this fall will bring a better handset - one especially without a too-large 4.3" display. Do people who design these phones ever carry them in pockets? I know that I do.

To me Dinc2 would be a definite step up from Eris. The global thing is a definite plus for me. The best of course would be to have a global version with two SIM cards....

But you are right it is probably worth waiting ... but then next year an even better will come out. There is no end to this...

Peter

Upvote 0
But you are right it is probably worth waiting ... but then next year an even better will come out. There is no end to this...

Right, but if your upgrade ok date is October, get the best phone that you can then (though look to see if anything is coming out soon and wait, if you really want to) and then don't think about it again for 20 months. You'll just drive yourself crazy if you start getting itchy for a new device sooner, unless you're made of money and can afford to pay $600 whenever you want.

To me, I could have chosen the Eris or the Moto Droid when I last upgraded, and decided that the Eris was good enough. I learned from the Eris that I should get the best phone that I can, rather than getting a phone with older technology and putting myself behind at the start of a 2 year contract. (In other words, I really should have bought the Droid 19 months ago.) Well, live and learn.

I will say, though, that if you really, really want a new phone, you can start a family plan, add a single line and then just forward it to your new phone. It'll cost you extra each month. If you have an old Verizon feature phone, you can activate that on your other line and then not have to have a data plan. Just a thought, if you're really desperate.

Upvote 0
Just to give you guys a follow up, I ended up going with the Incredible2. WOW, what an amazing phone! I used to really like my rooted Eris, but now that I've owned the Inc2 for a few weeks I don't know how I ever managed without it. Everything from the battery life to the 4in screen to the processor and even the camera is a huge upgrade over the eris! Even the call quality is improved with really good in call volume and clarity.

If you guys are thinking about upgrading, this really is the best well rounded phone out right now. Its also amazing to realize how many apps and games there are out in the market place, that are normally not displayed for Eris owners because the Eris would not be able to run them. I used to think that Android was really lacking in the gaming department, but then I realized that most games were just blocked in the market place because I had an older phone.

Anyway sorry for the rambling. I'm just really happy with the Inc2 and would recommend it to any Eris owner looking for an upgrade.

Upvote 0
but in playing with the Inc2 at the store a couple of months ago - meh, it felt not all that fast, not all that beautiful a display. .

Don't go by your impressions in the store. The demo units don't seem that fast because they have that darn verizon demo app running at all times in the background. Not to mention they have been messed with by random people who play with them on a daily basis and install all kinds of apps.

I did a side by side comparison with the iphone4 and the inc2 before deciding on the inc2. What really won me over was the fact that the inc2 had a larger 4in display, and that it was running android.

The Iphone4 seems really nice on paper, until you realize that you would be loosing google navigation... widgets...custom roms...over/under clocking... titanium backup...etc..

And if you really want to compare the two, this video was very helpful to me:
‪Apple iPhone 4 vs HTC Droid Incredible 2 Verizon "Face Off"‬‏ - YouTube

Upvote 0
I'm about 12 days shy of being at the 20 month mark. I used the online form from Verizons site and asked what my options were or if they could move my upgrade date up. I got a phone call (that I missed...DOH!) and an email from a CSR. In the email she mentioned that she could NOT change my upgrade date and that the only thing she could do would be to offer me the current reduced pricing on phones but that she could also offer 50% off on my current monthly service for my line. She goes on to mention that my NE2 discount would be $50 so this would be an attractive offer.

HOWEVER, I sent her a response stating that I was in NE2 prior to 02/09 and that I was pretty sure that I would/should still be getting the $100 discount. To which I did not get a response. Lol. So it sounded to me like she was dangling a carrot trying to get me to upgrade early so they wouldn't have to go $100 on the last NE2?

Anybody know if I am correct about $100 vs. $50 for legacy NE2 people?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones