Best Verizon Android Phone for my GF

Which Verizon Android Phone would you get?

1. Droid X

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Fascinate

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Droid 2

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    29.4%

Last Updated:

1. berny26

berny26 Member This Topic's Starter

I know there have been other threads on this topic, so my apologies, but....

My girlfriend is due for an upgrade in a week or so and wants my help as to what she should get. She currently is using an LG Dare, and has had a countless number of problems with it. She considered getting a Blackberry, but because I have a Droid X, she has been able to play around with it over the past few months and she loves Android. She has narrowed her choices down to the Droid X, Samsung Fascinate, and in a distant third place, the Droid 2.

I suggested the Droid X, but my opinion is biased. She is a beginner, so she wont be concerned with rooting (although the free tethering intrigues her). Basically, she wants a phone that will give her the least amount of headaches over the next 2 years. For anybody that has used one or all of those devices, which device would you choose?

Advertisement
  2. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

What, no Incredible option? It is still sold you know! And I hardly think it's worthy of just being listed as 'Other'...

R

fortesquieu and tommy_ed like this.
  3. berny26

She has played around with the Incredible and she didn't like it as much as the others. It was actually one I had suggested to her. My apology for the mistake, and let's just assume Other means the DI since I can't seem to edit the poll.

4. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

There's one big small reason why I myself prefer the Incredible - I find the screen size perfect for my fingers. With the DI being the size it is I find I'm able to operate it one handed and my thumb is able to reach all parts of the screen - the X et al are big enough to prevent me from being able to do that.

Just my 2c worth is all.

5. berny26

That's the exact reason why I went with my Droid X. I have pretty fat fingers, and when i tried texting on the Incredible I would fudge up too many words. My girlfriend is sort of the same way. She initially wanted the Droid 2 because of the physical keyboard but it was too bulky for her. She's had the Dare so she's gotten used to texting on a virtual keyboard with no margin for error so she's fine with getting a phone without the physical keyboard, but she said if she's not going to have a physical keyboard she wants a bigger screen. She thinks the Fascinate is the perfect size, but it's the software (Bing and Touchwiz) that she's not too keen on, plus she hasn't had great experiences with Samsung phones.

6. zip2

zip2 Active Member

I like the Droid X because of the bigger screen. I find navigating websites to be much easier. Plus...watching movies on the big screen rules. :D

From what I have gathered from this site and others the X rates highly in terms of quality hardware. I've seen the same X dropped DOZENS of times (no not mine and no I don't recommend it) and not hick up.

Try that with most phones and they become bricks.

I also find the software adequate even running 2.1 update 1. Very responsive with fast page loads. Hopefully when I get the 2.2 release things will improve even more.

Honestly I think it all boils down to preference. Are you a heavy multi-media user which will benefit from a bigger screen?? How does it feel in your hand? How responsive is the keyboard for YOU? Do you prefer actual keys or touchscreen?? See where I'm going with this??

7. SoCalGal

SoCalGal New Member

I've been a BlkBry user for the past cpl of years. I was ready for the "real thing" so I decided to do some research. From what I read up on - HTC Droid Incredible (aka: DInc) is that it's one of the best ones out there with the best reviews and ratings. I just got one on Saturday. Been spending ALOT of time playing with it and figuring it out! A bit obsessed may I add, but loving every second - Hah!

The camera is 8 megapixels which I love. My BB only had 2 megapixels; so, you can imagine how in love I am with the camera. I'm getting used to texting by touch, it does definitely take some adjusting to. I have very little fingers, so I too like that the screen isn't as big as others out there. Plus I don't like such bulky phones. I personally think she'd like the Dinc the best out of all the other Droids out there.

A downside of the Dinc is that it has less battery time which I was aware of when I bought it. But that doesn't really bother me...I just re-plug it to re-juice it!

Let us know what you decide! And then let us know if she likes whichever it is you get for her.

Cheers!

8. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Get her the Fascinate.

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Im biased but I also say Fascinate. You can get rid of the Bing and all the other VZW bloatware. You are not locked into TW, many of us, myself included use LauncherPro. If you root it you really can customize the heck out of it

10. berny26

Well, if you're interested at all, my girlfriend stopped at a Verizon store after work today to take another look at the phones, and she talked to the rep who said that she could upgrade today. She decided to go with the Fascinate. She really fell in love with the screen and the size of the phone, and after I told her you could get around Bing, she was sold.

Another person in the Android family, take that Apple!