• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best video converter app

*****Update*****

This program is still working great. I just encoded a couple new shows at 640x480 (to preserve the original aspect ratio) and 1000kbps at 25 frames/sec and the quality is just great. So crisp, clear, no artifacts, high quality sound and video. I'm so happy I could lay down and die.

Wanted to ask how the 640 x 480 vids look on the screen. Do they take up most of the screen? I was using Format Factory, and did them 848 x 480, but it kept having problems syncing the voice and video. May try the one you mentioned. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Yeah, and this lovely software will also attempt to install adware on your box: TrojanClicker:Win32/Yabector.B

Reference: http://www.microsoft.com/Security/p...ntry.aspx?Name=TrojanClicker:Win32/Yabector.B

Thankfully MSE castrated it on entry.

I used it, worked great, run spybot, avast, adware, no problems here. hmm..
also used settings discussed on another thread for handbrake, which is what I wanted but could not dl for some reason, they worked great, filled the screen, none of the syncing issues w/ the audio that some had mentioned. I'll post back if something scary happens to my computer I guess, I mean if I am able to.

Upvote 0
If you have a Nvidia Graphics card that supports CUDA, you should use MediaCoder and the CUDA encoder to make your graphics card do the work... it's about 3x faster than Handbrake using the CPU.
UPDATE:
Cuda encoder is complete crap, all blocky and gross looking. Use Handbrake!

PS. I have Kaspersky Internet Security and it did not set off any alarms when installing or using handbrake.

Upvote 0
Going all the way back to the second post in this thread, I'm using SUPER, using the settings shown in the screenshot, but every attempt to actually play the file results in an error stating that the format isn't correct and can't be played.

I don't have the file copied to the SD card however because I'm attempting to stream the file using GMote. When choosing the .mp4 file, GMote asks what to use to play back the file, Meridian or the stock video player. Choosing either one results in an error.

Out of all the information in this thread, what would be the best file converter to use that will allow streaming via GMote?

Upvote 0
(Forgive me if this software has already been mentioned in this thread.)

After numerous Google and Droid forum searches, and several unsuccessful attempts using Handbrake, I finally found what I was looking for: DVD Catalyst Free.

The full version is very reasonable at the price of $10, but the free version is fine for me at this point. It detects and scans the DVD in my computer, I can name the file and choose where it will be sent after ripping, and I can select my device from a drop-down list. I used the USB cable to transfer the MPEG4 file to my Droid Eris, and it the movie plays fine with the stock player.

I don't need tons of customizable options, which are available in the paid full version. I highly recommend DVD Catalyst! (And I am in no way affiliated with the programmer, developer, or website!) There is also a limited trial version available for download.

Check it out at Tools4Movies, Official home of DVD Catalyst.

Upvote 0
You couldn't get Handbrake to work when you have to change nothing?

Yeah, and I don't know why. I tried some of the Handbrake presets as described elsewhere in these forums, and also found numerous posts here and elsewhere describing minor adjustments to the presets, but I still couldn't get the movies to play correctly on my Eris. I could see and hear something, but it was very choppy. Maybe I'll try handbrake again sometime, but DVD Catalyst is doing a fine job for now.

Upvote 0
so i have just got my hero and would likt to put some videos on there.

can someone tell me what is the best video converter to use and what settings to get the best quality for the hero?

thanks in advance

Hi there:

Based on my experiences using Video Converters, I am sure that Moyea Video Converter is the powerful tool in editing and converting any video files and it is compatible with various OS, including Windows xp/2000/2003/Win 7/Vista/.
For example, using it, you guys can easily convert all kinds of video files to other common formats like AVI, MPEG, WMV, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MKV, MOV, MTS, MOD, TOD, DV, OGG, MP3, AC3, ACC, FLAC, Tivo, etc for make your videos playback on popular players like iPod, mobile, phones, TV, Youtube, etc.
Moreover, the built-in multi-thread encoding technology makes the conversion speed faster than ever. It is estimated that you can save at least half time to convert a video with the same size.
Moyea Video Converter can be easily found via Google.

Hope it works for you guys!

Upvote 0
Moyea Video Converter can be easily found via Google.

Or from the link that you helpfully posted. However I see a big fat "Purchase" button on the page, which suggests that the "Free download" version is probably gimped in some crucial way. So, in keeping with the thread title, let's limit suggestions to free converters shall we?

Upvote 0
Maybe you could help me use it. I am trying to rip a DVD to watch on my android tablet. How do you do that on the Super?

Brice

To copy a DVD (that you legally purchased) into any supported Output Container, we recommend that you also use the best available DVDDecrypter to decrypt the entire DVD and copy the VOB files to your HardDisk in order to encode them with SUPER

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones