• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best video converter app

handbrake wouldn't convert a store bought DVD I tried telling me it was copyrighted or something to that effect.

Larry
You should always rip a DVD first to your HDD and then use whatever video converting software you wish to use (such as Handbrake etc.)

I always use "DVDFab HD Decrypter" which is FREE and can be downloaded from the following link:

DVDFab HD Decrypter. Free to Decrypt DVD and Blu-ray, free to Copy DVD and Blu-ray.

Actually this program can do a lot IF you pay for it BUT the DVD Ripping section is FREE and using it will do a straight rip (with no compression nor transcoding).

Upvote 0
I would like to bring this back up. I am still looking for a FREE ripper that will take my DVD and convert it to something I can play on android. None of the ones listed here have been able to do that. Any ideas?

FairUse Wizard 2 will fix you right up Brice L. The free version creates 700 MB files that play well on My Galaxy S II. Which phone are you using?

Upvote 0
I'm currently using total video converter.

I have tried using all types of resolutions and no matter what I try, I can't get it to fit fully on my android. The screen size either stretches vertically or horizontally.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I want to fit a video so that it displays full screen on my phone?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm currently using total video converter.

I have tried using all types of resolutions and no matter what I try, I can't get it to fit fully on my android. The screen size either stretches vertically or horizontally.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I want to fit a video so that it displays full screen on my phone?

Thanks
The aspect ratio of your phone is probably not exactly 16x9 and so no film's aspect ratio will fit 100% BUT you should either see black on the top or bottom or black on the sides. It shouldn't stretch it or otherwise screw up the aspect ratio.

Upvote 0
so i have just got my hero and would likt to put some videos on there.

can someone tell me what is the best video converter to use and what settings to get the best quality for the hero?

thanks in advance

If you are looking to convert any video files and want to play it on your Android based then it is easily done. You can convert wmv , flv , you tube video files for an Android based operating system with the help of an Android video converter.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but for converting to Android or Google TV, I've got to give the nod to Freemake Video Converter. It has SEVERAL Android profiles from Google TV all the way down to basic Android phone screen resolutions

It also does away with having to deal with A GAZILLION profiles for A GAZILLION device manufacturers, makes & models out there as well. Basically put, IT SIMPLIFIES THINGS !!!!! :)

Best of all - IT IS FREE !!!!! :party:

I use this program to encode videos for my DLNA servers & haven't run across a video it couldn't handle yet :)

:cheers:

PC Bigboy

Upvote 0
I see that the free 'n' easy apps are covered, so I'd like to offer up something for the more technical person who wants to have lots of settings "just so" when they transcode.

For ringtones and other audio, I use Audacity. It's FOSS and I find it very easy to use for getting sound clips out of longer recordings. For example, getting a good Homer Simpson "D'OH!" for computer events or the Underpants Gnomes song for a ringtone.

Most of my video comes from my TiVo DVRs in the proprietary encrypted TiVo file format. Although there are several free apps that use the DirectShow interface to get at the decrypted streams, I've found that VideoReDo makes a nice, inexpensive product that can be used to do everything from cleaning up MPEG stream errors, to editing the video, to mastering and burning onto disc, or saving in a variety of file formats. The thing that really makes this product shine is that it allows me to adjust more parameters (by far!) than any other editing or transcoding product, free or pay-for. The only thing it lacks is the capability to accelerate transcoding by using GPU engines.

For fast, CUDA-based transcoding, I use Movavi Video Suite. It's OK, but definitely falls short of being a professional grade tool. Fortunately its price reflects that.

Upvote 0
I just read this entire thread, and would like to offer my two cents.

I have been converting videos for years from one format to another, for psp, ipod, Android, dvd playback, you name it, I've tried it. Here are my favorites for routers and converters:

RIPPERS:

IMO there is only one option: Handbrake, period.
If you look in the official handbrake forums you can find plenty of Android presets for download.

CONVERTERS:

1. Any Video Converter
- Simple to use, comes preloaded with Android preset.
-Any x264 presets will work on Android phones, for smaller file size, use the psp preset
- link: Free Video Converter| Any Video Converter Freeware| MP4 FLV 3GP AVI MKV DVD Android Html5

2. SGI's Video Converter GUI
-Comes loaded with presets
-Completely free, available from SourceForge
-link: SGI's Video Converter GUI | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

Try em out, they are awesome.

Upvote 0
Xilisoft is amazing, by far the best paid software available. There is a free converter that it's like a carbon copy of xilisoft, called iWisoft video converter. Comes with all the same functionality of xilisoft, and its freeware. Even has an edit option to add photo and text watermarks. You should check it out (the only drawback is its inability to totally control the encoding bitrate, but you can fix that with some XML editing).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones