Best video format and properties

Last Updated:

1. kasperknop

kasperknop Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Lets try to create a list of the optimal video format and properties a video must be in on the Hero.

Help me out here... I am really no expert so please let me know if I got something wrong.

I will try to keep this first thread up to date:

Container = .MP4
    Encoder = h.264
    Frame rate = 23.976(NTSC) or 29.97(PAL)?
    Resolution = 480 x 320
    Video bitrate = 500-1000 kbps
    Audio encoder = AAC
    Audio bitrate = 320 kbps

Advertisement
  2. cheggerspop

cheggerspop Well-Known Member

This is what I use -

Container = .MP4
    Encoder = MPEG4(DivX)
    Frame rate = 24
    Resolution = 320 x 480
    Video bitrate = 512
    Audio encoder = AAC
    Audio bitrate = 128
    Sample rate = 44100

3. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Container = .MP4 is supported
    Encoder = h.263 is definitely supported, but h.264 is better so try that first
    Frame rate = Standard NTSC? what is that? 23.4 fps?
    Resolution = 480x320 (wxh)
    Video bitrate = Anything above 1000kbps will be overkill (you can drop it as low as 320 if space is critical)
    Audio encoder = AAC probably
    Audio bitrate = 320kbps is probably ideal (192 if space is critical)

h.263 is definitely supported, but h.264 is a significantly better codec. Try a short clip in the h.264 format to see if it works. If not, h.263 is a perfectly acceptable format.

Edit: I can confirm that h.264 is indeed supported (says so on my box).

4. kasperknop

kasperknop Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know any software I can use to convert and test?

EDIT: Nevermind found E.M total video converter =)

5. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Free conversion software is tough to come by. I use Badaboom to convert files for my Hero. It only works with CUDA capable nVidia cards though, but I can convert a 2 hour movie in just 10 minutes. It's pretty basic, letting you set the bitrate, pixel width, and a few other things, but you wont get to choose your codec or file format. It just uses mpeg4 and Dolby I think. Its speed more than makes up for it though.

I pretty much just use the iPhone setting and lower the Video bitrate slightly and raise the Audio bitrate a little.

6. themonkster

themonkster Well-Known Member

I use 'Any Dvd Converter' it converts any video format to mp4 or whatever you want.

The pro version has the Google Android output option so you don't have to mess about with the settings.

The results are awesome. Perfect picture, sound is in sync.

I batch converted a full series with it last night and it only took a couple of hours.

I also use the 'plays video' app from the market. It has a resume feature so you don't have to find your point in a film when your half way through. It just auto resumes.

7. Vzard

Vzard Member

Personally i use Aimersoft Media Converter which offers all-round output video property settings to customize ideal video quality for my HTC Hero.

BTW, i bet you dont want to miss the added DRM removing bonus! :D

8. Haizum74

Haizum74 Guest

Videora Android Converter, menu is a bit clunky but easy yo use and not had one issue converting video. Dont need to enter any settings either

9. DexKen

DexKen Active Member

I can recommend Handbrake (it's free), simply select the iphone/ipod touch profile and all the correct settings will be auto-selected.

Container = .M4V
    Encoder = H.264
    Frame rate = Depends on your source 23.976/29.970 (NTSC) 25 (PAL)
    Resolution = 480 x ??? Depends on source Full/Wide/Cinema, you can override and crop wide/cinema to fit or disable keep aspect and force 320
    Video bitrate = Constant Quality (RF20) or again override, in that case go for 768
    Audio encoder = AAC
    Audio bitrate = 128 Not worth going much higher than this but it's up to you
    Sample rate = 48000

When it's done just rename the m4v extension to mp4. The m4v extension just allows iPods to "do" chapters which the Hero can't.

10. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

Hmm, i've tried a couple of the settings listed here but the output files are coming out larger than the source !!
    1 3/4 movie coming in at a gig when the source is only 740mb !
    Never had this trouble converting to MP4 on PSP, what can i drop without sacrificing quality too much ?

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Transcoding results depend on the source and target formats as well as the quality settings, and the transcoding program will have an influence too. The best answer is to play around with a sample file and find the settings that you're happiest with.

As an example, I transcoded a 310MB 960x540 .wmv promo to a 165MB 480x320 .mp4 using MediaCoder's supplied iPod preset: MP4 container, H.264 encoding (996kbps), AAC audio (125kbps + 44kHz sample rate). Quality is as good as the original, playback is stutter-free.

12. DeadlyDazza

Thanks for the reply (apologies for the bump), just a heads up, the makers of PSPvideo9, Red Kawa - Videora, one of my favourite free video converters for the Sony PSP, have a version for Android video conversion.
    Videora HTC Hero Converter - Free HTC Hero Video Converter
    Been using it very successfully since yesterday on light mode.
    Also has a heavy mode for more setting customisation.
    WARNING : The program is quite Ad heavy but nothing pushy or compulsary.

13. mark1252003

mark1252003 Well-Known Member

Ive been using the Android converter too, took two hours to convert one film, quality was spot on too, no blockyness (Such a word?!!) in the conversion window am i right in using the T-mobile G1 setting at 480x320 setting? When i watched the film it was saying it was a 480x206 resolution with black bars at the top and bottom of the screen , if i maximize the screen it chops off some of the movies from the sides tho. :rolleyes:

14. DeadlyDazza

Try uninstalling your older version and installing from the link in my above post, it's more tailored for the Hero.

15. topcorner

topcorner Well-Known Member

I usually use Handbrake as well but for quick simple encodes I use EncodeHD. It's pretty much open video file, select profile, click convert and done :D

16. mark1252003

Cheers DD, ill do that now, I'll download version 5.4 instead of my current 5.3;)

17. DeadlyDazza

I get this too.
    Not much you can do about it i think becouse of the source resolution.
    It's not like there's any Android video apps that can pan & scan like VLC (and i doubt there ever will be).

18. mark1252003

True, I suppose if I could change settings to fit the whole screen then it would look out of proportion. Just downloaded the latest version, in the conversion type .ie HTC Diamond, Touch ,HD etc, theres no setting for Hero , which one should I use? The G1 one as before?

19. DeadlyDazza

Yeah, looks like it, tell me if you have any joy getting file sizes around or lower than the source file, mine are all coming in bigger, much bigger, never had to put a gig movie on my PSP so i've no idea why i can't get the file sizes down on a smaller res.

20. mark1252003

The one ive just converted was 1.34 gb, converted to mp4 and was just under 1gb HTH ;);)

21. DeadlyDazza

Can you list all your settings, i think i'm just being too much of a quality whore, probably unneccessary on a small screen, but i get great quality & small file sizes on PSP running high settings.

22. mark1252003

Device - T-mobile G1

Profile - H.264 480x320 768 kbps Stereo 128 kbps

thats all I used DD ;);)