1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Best virtual keyboard app?Support

1. Skully

Skully Active Member

2. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

Yeah, got Swiftkey today as a freebie from Amazon, and I find it comparable to the Gingerbread keyboard in size, layout, and recognition row. But Swiftkey's recognition/prediction seems noticeably better, and I like the recognition row more--it seems easier to select from there. I uninstalled Gingerbread.

My big hands have trouble with the little keys, even in landscape, but the recognition/prediction helps, and voice recognition works quite nicely so far in my limited testing. This would be my favorite of about six I've tried, if I had smaller fingers.

Minor point for most people: I love that you can dismiss Swiftkey with a downward swipe. No hard button press needed.
    allambition and Joestradamus like this.
  3. allambition

allambition Well-Known Member

I also got Swiftkey today and it is pretty nice in the word recognition department. Its free today on the Amazon market go get it! I also like the fact there is no hard button press needed to get rid of the keyboard, that has always annoyed me.
  4. adam97202

adam97202 Well-Known Member

I'm liking SmartKeyboard Pro lately, because it lets me put in custom auto-replace words. I have it set to replace "don" with "don't," for example, and "id" becomes "I'd."
  5. Mr_Coffee

Mr_Coffee Well-Known Member

Are there any Apps that support Swype?
    I just downloaded Swiftkey from Amazon, so we'll see if i prefer that over Swype?
  6. Positive P

Positive P Well-Known Member

Stupid swipe! Ive switched to another keyboard 9 times now, but swipe keyboard keeps restarting itself everytime I turn my phone back on, I like gingerbread keyboard!
  7. kc3

kc3 Well-Known Member

lol is nobody listening at all? SlideIt is MUCH like Swipe but in my opinion works worlds better, if you want a way out of Swipe, checkout SlideIt lol you can get it from the marketplace. The App is kind of pricey but definitely worth it, and I think there's a free demo.

Demo Video - http://www.youtube.com/embed/229U0ZYPum8
  8. kekil

kekil Member

HI @PFX7, can you give me a link to directions in how to install the HTC Sense keyboard on my LG Optimus S? I've tried before and I might be doing something wrong ..

9. sadielynn

sadielynn Well-Known Member

Just got the (free) SwiftKey X beta... Love it so far! I always wanted to try SwiftKey, but didn't really want to buy a keyboard since the stock wasn't too bad for me.. Glad I waited now! Only downside is the file size is kinda huge...but I'm not complaining, it is still beta after all.
    syav likes this.
  10. syav

syav Well-Known Member

I was using the original Swift keyboard but my 30day trial expired. Thanks for posting about the Swift X. I like the style of this keyboard :)
  11. lburgguy

lburgguy Well-Known Member

FlexT9 is my swype-type keyboard and I love it! It is the best of the bunch by far! I had to give up on Swype because it kept crashing for some reason. I found this app and instead of it being simply a stand-in it is totally superior. I've tried the others mentioned above also and this beats them all.
  12. GoHybrid67

GoHybrid67 Active Member

I'm a LOUSY virtual typist, on most keyboards the keys are just too small and I end up typing like I'm drunk, lol.

So the keyboard I find myself always going back to is ThickButtons. "A keyboard that predicts the buttons you need and enlarges them." Takes a little getting used to, sometimes the keys aren't quite where you expect them to be because they've enlarged the ones next to them. But I find myself typing a LOT faster and more accurately with this keyboard. Really love it in Landscape mode, when the keys enlarge there, they're REALLY big. And even more to like: it's free. Squee. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.thickbuttons
    Petrah likes this.
  13. JerryScript

JerryScript Well-Known Member

FlexT9, gives you swype type capabilities that work better than Swype, handwriting recognition if you prefer writing, and great voice recognition.
  14. phredbull

phredbull Member

I'd recommend MessagEase, if you're willing to try something new. You can type complete sentences with your thumb.
    :cool:
  15. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member

i use smart keyboard... was just fine with the stock android keyboard until i realized how much i was needing to press the 123? button and wanted something with longpress and of the keyboards that had that option i ended up liking smart keyboard the best
  16. PFX7

PFX7 Member

Sorry for the late reply! I have attached the .apk file with this post. You can copy it to your SD card and use a file manager like Astro to browse to it and install it on your device. It can work on any low res. android phone. After installing go to Settings->Language & Keyboard Settings and change input method to 'HTC_IME Mod' and then In the 'HTC_IME mod' settings select 'Phone Keypad'.

Here's (HTC IME Mod Keyboard with Voice Input (v27, June 08, 2010) - xda-developers) the original thread from where I got it. Its the low res version for the LG Optimus V.

P.S. there's also a thread which tells you how you can customize the colors/icons/etc. for the keyboard here ([Skins] HTC_IME High/Low Res v27 custom skin generator online! Updated Sep. 7th! - xda-developers). Though I've never used it but it seems to work.

Attached Files:

brotherswing likes this.
  17. lillu

lillu New Member

18. nitestalkr

nitestalkr Well-Known Member

ive always hated swype.. ive also got fairly large hands, and i found that using Better Keyboard 8 with a tron legacy skin, works best for me, i type with my thumbs.. always felt more natural doing so on a phone. i have very few typos. ive tested out many many keyboard apps out there but always found myself coming back to better keyboard 8.
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  19. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

I was told you couldn't use those on the OV, you had to use a finger.

so just buy any touch screen tool?
  20. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

No, you have to buy one designed for a touch capacitive screen. They don't look normal. The tip has some kind of conductive tip.
  21. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

long as it say ipad iphone it will work though?

Id love to have a stylus to use.
  22. AndyOpie150

I saw a couple at Staples that were just the right thing. $10.00-$15.00 tops.
  23. BannorMichael

BannorMichael New Member

Try the virtual Tio keyboard it is a free download and unlike anything on the market you will be pleasantly surprised. It has an algorithm that seems to know what your thinking - you don't even have to know how to spell and can even type the wrong letters it will figure out what you intended to type. Just try it you will be amazed.
  24. AndyOpie150

If your using a stylus pen then Hackers Keyboard is the way to go. It has all the keys that are on a full size keyboard. Esc, Ctrl, Tab, F1-F12, SyRq, Scrl., Brk, Ins, etc., etc., etc.
    If you need predictive text than turn the phone to portait.
  25. 350X

350X Well-Known Member

I like the stylus for the stock swipe layout but I soon found you could switch the the other keyboard layout in the stock V. and love it, I have no troubles and don't use the stylus as often. [Though I did just order a 2nd 99cent stylus incase I lose mine and I won't have to wait]