• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best virtual keyboard app?

i'd been hesitant to type this reply, as swype beta is root-only (perhaps ROM too ?) ... but ... this is silly

this vid about swype beta - being both amusing and informative, i figured i'd share it.

apologies in advance if "don't ever mention anything about root/ROM" is the rule here. :eek: i mean... i dunno if it's a black and white thing, here vs All Things Root. Do tell.

Upvote 0
I really do like the Swype feature, but sometimes just want a regular keyboard that can handle my fat fingers. I like "big button", pretty accurate, but very plain and no predicition in free version (I never checked paid version). I currently use "Perfect Keyboard", tried free version, loved it and then bought the paid version $ 2.99 in the andriod app store. I love that I can change the skin, color, resize the keys and prediction is pretty accurate. I can save words it does not recognize and also short cuts. One of the best keyboards I could find.

Reactions: nanzo
Upvote 0
I've tried a bunch, but preferred SlideIT.

Visually, SwipeIT is a big improvement on Swype. But for functionality, it just doesn't do much more than Swype to justify paying 5.99. Really?

The best thing about SwiftKey hands down is it's word prediction. It does it well and learns words, so you'll be typing fast, but it makes mistakes too. Also the slide to dismiss is neat.

I haven't even tested the Gingerbread keyboard, but now I plan to!!

Upvote 0
I like Swype! but dislike how the company works (why root? Why have all this registration and such), but mostly it has issues with Firefox.

I hated Slideit when I tried it a year ago or so, they have made some changes and it's a lot better. It only needs the carat for editing.

TSwype-Pro is a new one (at least I hadn't heard of it before, but while a bit big and busy, is what I'm, using at the moment.

I saw a couple at Staples that were just the right thing. $10.00-$15.00 tops.
Ebay, $2-3$

Upvote 0
The solution is to use 2 keyboards.

I use the ICS KEYBOARD when I'm sitting at a desk in landscape mode, using a stylus, writing a long doc.

I use the PORTRAIT KEYBOARD when I'm outside, typing with my thumb. This is probably the easiest, least stressful keyboard.

I find the Swype-type keyboards the most stressful.

Upvote 0
I've always liked the layout of the swype keyboard that comes with the phone. I don't use swype, just like the ease and speed in which I can type with it. TSwipe-Pro gives me this plus a perdictive text bar. The predictive text doesn't auto type anything, it just displayed the text that you can select (No more predictive text errors and frustrations).
Keys are same size as the stock but have more options when longpressed. Symbols registry has even more functionality then the stock.
It's has now allowed me to straight out type faster with one finger than with any other keyboard I've used.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones