• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best wallet type program?

myet01

Lurker
Dec 2, 2009
What is the best "Wallet", "Password Protector" type program out there for the Android OS? I would prefer one that has a desktop application as well. I was reading the forums on "Splash ID" but it is getting ripped because it cannot tether to phone, you have to use WIFI to sync it with desktop application. I sent them an email and asked if they were looking into a tethering solution and they have yet to replay and it has been a while!

Any thoughts, a good "wallet" application anyone?

Thanks,

Tony

I like KeePassDroid since I was already using KeePass on my desktop. You still have to pass the database file manually to the desktop, but ever since I stuck the app on my phone I haven't used the desktop version. I just copy it off to have a backup.

Wow! Great app.

I was waiting for eWallet top be ported to Android, but Ilium keep stalling with this issue, so I will try this one. Free is always good! :)

BTW Does it fill the fields with session info when clicking a hyperlink?

Thanks!

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0
I wanted Splashid. Ive had it since my Treo 600, also purchased it on WM, and my Iphone. Now I have it on the Pre. Problem is I've had to pay for a different desktop companion for every mobile platform. When I emailed them and was told I would have to purchase a completely different desktop version than the Iphone one I already have, I decided enough is enough. I too was waiting on eWallet, but now Im content with OI safe. I also like the UI.

Upvote 0
I've been using WalletPro and it seems to offer all that eWallet did on my old Axim.

This looks like a great app. I had a look at it, and I might purchase it.

I contacted the programmer to as a kew questions about the program, and here is what I found out:

Here are our current development plan:
- We are working on the desktop companion (it is nearly beta ready)
- We will add import from other wallets (I personally do not know eWallet
but if it supports export we will be able to import the data. I will ask
our dev team to validate eWallet).
- Remote backup for free at our servers (should be ready right after the
holidays)
- Import / export / hide contacts, sms, emails
- Import files, take a photo and import into the wallet (almost done)
So we will release version 2.0 in the next few weeks with many new
features.
I will ask the dev-team about the web access. It will be great to store the
browser autocomplete and account forms.

So I will be waiting for the next big update, and I'll purchase it then if everything mentioned here happens. I had a look at KeePassAndro, and it really is not evolved enough as it is. It is not compatible with the 2.x versions of the desktop. I tried importing my eWallet data into KeePass, and I had to install version 1.x to get the filter working.

IMHO, KeePass is a great freeware solution, but it is not up to par with the great paid apps out there.

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0
This looks like a great app. I had a look at it, and I might purchase it.

I contacted the programmer to as a kew questions about the program, and here is what I found out:

So I will be waiting for the next big update, and I'll purchase it then if everything mentioned here happens. I had a look at KeePassAndro, and it really is not evolved enough as it is. It is not compatible with the 2.x versions of the desktop. I tried importing my eWallet data into KeePass, and I had to install version 1.x to get the filter working.

IMHO, KeePass is a great freeware solution, but it is not up to par with the great paid apps out there.

Nicolas Racine

I think there are currently at least two free applications that are better than KeePassDroid:

B-Folders

B-Folders is a good, basic, wallet/password type application, easy to use, well worth a try-out at free. This is the one I'd recommend to those that want ease-of-use over function (it does not allow the creation of templates, which WalletPro and Secforms-Lite do).

Secforms-Lite

This is another Free application, similar to WalletPro in layout, has templates, actually is easier to create templates for, well worth a look-see. The PC variant costs real money, but the Android version is free.

Upvote 0
I'm curious what features set the paid apps apart from KeePassDroid. I just started using it so have no idea about what features are good.

I do like the copy and paste to notification bar though.

To me, the gold standard in Wallet type programs is Ilium eWallet. Unfortunately, it is not available for Android, but possibly will be somewhere down the road. If you want to see what it can do, take a look at:

eWallet - Password Manager and Digital Wallet for Windows Mobile, iPhone, BlackBerry, and Windows PC

KeePassDroid works fine for what it does, and if it does everything you want, then its's probably exactly what you should use. It does have the rudiments, you can define categories/folders to organize the data (and not all paid Apps do that, WalletPro is an example of one that does not), and you can add then entries that save:

• Name
  • User Name
  • URL (Web Address)
  • Password
  • Comments (Text)

So KeePassDroid will work fine, so long as those are the only things that you need to store.

The difference comes from the some of the other Apps in that they can do this sort of Web entry, that's sort of the buy-in at the poker game, plus a lot more entries for things like (this is a partial list from eWallet)

• Bank Account
  • Calling Card
  • Car Info
  • Cellular Phone
  • Clothes Sizes (!?)
  • Combination Lock
  • Contact
  • Contact Lens Prescription
  • Credit Card
  • Driver's License
  • eMail Account
  • Emergency Numbers
  • General Purpose (or Text/Blank)
  • Health Numbers
  • ID Card
  • Insurance Policy
  • Internet Settings (proxies, servers, etc.)
  • Lens Prescriptions
  • Library Card
  • Membership Info
  • Note Card
  • Passport Info
  • Password (essentially, this is the built-in for KeePassDroid)
  • Picture Card
  • Prescription
  • Serial Number
  • Social Security Number
  • Software Serial Number
  • Voice Mail Info (number, password, etc.)
  • Voter Card
  • Web Site

And so forth. Don't need all those cards? Nobody does, I had eWallet for years, probably didn't use 30% of them, but the point is they're there, well thought out, if you do need one. The Credit cards are actually amongst the handiest, couple of clicks and you can just read off the number, CVC, etc. Further, eWallet, WalletPro, and Secforms Lite allow you to define your own templates or Cards, should one have been left off the list.

Another differentiator is a means of backing up or sharing the data, between the phone and a PC, in some cases the web. A lot better than typing in the data all over again, if your phone is ever lost or has to be replaced.

And so forth. If eWallet were available for the Moto Droid, I'd buy it in a second. But it's not, so for now at least, you have to go with one of the alternatives. Some of the free ones are still quite good, B-Folders for instance, and Secforms Lite is free for the Android variant. Secforms Lite is the only one I'm aware of that's free and has template (card) creation ability.

If you don't mind the cross post, there's a series of evaluations out at:

Wallet app? - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

These are Moto Droid (Android 2.0) specific, but give you some reading and more details.

Reactions: usefulwaste
Upvote 0
So I've been using SecForms for a couple years now. But it appears development has ended (the developer's website is dead and email bounces) so it looks like I need to find an alternative to this app. Anybody have a good suggestion for an eWallet app that doesn't cost $10 like SplashID/eWallet/etc.?

B-Folders Secure Organizer looks like it would have been perfect, but appears to have less templates (you're limited to credit cards, login passwords, bookmarks, contacts and notes) and you can't make your own.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones