Best waterproof casing for S4General

Last Updated:

1. DudeMan8092

DudeMan8092 Member

So I've decided to go with upgrading my HTC EVO 3D to the S4, and as much reading as I've done, I can't quite find what I'm looking for, so I'm looking to see if any of you have hands on experience with this. I'll be getting the phone on the first of July, and I'd like to order the case now so I will have it by the time I get the phone. I want a waterproof case simply because I yearly go snorkeling in the Bahamas and I'd love to be able to take great pictures of the corral and fish without paying 300 for a underwater camera. I know you might say, just get a s4 active given it comes with a waterproof case, however I hate the fact it dumbs the megapixels wayyy down from 13 to 4. I also currently have the otterbox on my evo 3d which I way too bulky for me anymore, I'm looking for something to provide great protection, waterproofing up to 3 meters for a half hour period or more, and slimmer than the otterbox. Any suggestions? Pricing?

Advertisement
  2. Roll-Tide

Roll-Tide Well-Known Member

Well the active's camera is actually 8 megapixels... But aside from that, the only waterproof case for the s4 I know of is still under development and it's the seidio obex (sp?) and in my opinion it looks like something made by fisher price with generic black plastic.
  3. DudeMan8092

DudeMan8092 Member

Ahh yeah that's what I've seen and I have to completely agree it looks like cheapskate written all over it. Thanksfor the correction though, I hadn't noticed it was 8....that's not so bad but still, not enough to make me take the reduction in pixels...
  4. Roll-Tide

Pixels aren't everything... I'm sure it takes great pictures still. I have no need to have a phone that takes poster size pictures, mine is set at 6mp
  5. DudeMan8092

DudeMan8092 Member

True. Active isn't even out yet though is it? I'm def looking to upgrade July 1st, my phone at the moment has been very basic and boring, even worse my battery life is about 6 hours without much usage. Do you know much about emulation frame rates with the s4 at all, one of the main reasons for choosing it was the high end specs that should be able to process a decent FPS for PSP games.
  6. Roll-Tide

I don't think the active is out yet but the rest of that I'm clueless on lol
  7. DudeMan8092

DudeMan8092 Member

Honesty appreciated! Lol
  8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

hey guys,
    so i had to do some cleanup here as it went way off topic. and just so folks know, any help is always appreciated. if the poster might have missed what was already talked about, so what? it is still being helpful. i had no idea what the case that was talked about earlier looked like, but now i do......going back and forth talking about it, is not helping DudeMan8092 find a waterproof case.

ok carry on......only lets talk about cases here;)

thanx
    ocnbrze
    Kelmar and Mikestony like this.
  9. Roll-Tide

Thanks for the pep talk
    ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

ok so if and when lifeproof gets off their butts and come out with one for the s3:LifeProof Case for the Samsung Galaxy S3 | LifeProof , there is rumor of works of an s4. i think that they are the best in waterproof cases, but they are very expensive.....of course they mainly make it for apple's products which could be the reason for the price;)
  11. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

I had an Obex and a Lifeproof for my i5. The build quality for the Obex is definitely not Fisher Price. I preferred it over the Lifeproof. They both have pros and cons but I would definitely consider the Obex when it comes out.
  12. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

Lifeproof is now owned by Otterbox so I would expect to see them start catering to more brands and at a quicker pace.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  13. DudeMan8092

DudeMan8092 Member

Thanks everyone. I'll research both and see what works best.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  14. EVIL&roid

EVIL&roid Member

http://store.androidcommunity.com/krusell-sealabox-waterproof-case/4A104A13551.htm dont know if this will qualify as a case but works for underwater. it needs to be removed in order to charge it seeing as it has no port openings at all. seems more like a universal protector/waterproof box. but im also waiting on something such as lifeproof for the gs4.

also under productions is the otterbox armor series for the s4. seeing they already have 1 for the s3 im sure it should be out soon. Galaxy S3 Waterproof Case | Armor Series by OtterBox
    ocnbrze likes this.