best way to activate through BB

Last Updated:

1. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so i've been thinking and i really DON'T want the guy at Best Buy messing around with my phone since i'll be numero uno and he won't have a damn clue what he is doing... i know they have to activate it to your account before you can have it, but can they just scan the codes on the box to do that... i have all my contacts on my google account so i don't need a transfer or anything else. can he just scan the box, move it to my account, then give me the box without him even opening it?

Advertisement
  2. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

I am wondering the same thing, I want my grubby hands on it first:D

3. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Good question. I mean I already know how to set the phone up myself.

4. evotitans

evotitans Well-Known Member

I have been wondering this too....I dont care if there is an advocate there that has been training on this phone, im buying it, and want to learn everything on it from step 1.

the only thing I can say is when I went and got my replacement PRE a couple months ago, they let me do everything....but that is a little different.

Besides there is a setup tutorial on the RS website....I look at it everyday lol.

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Plus, if I'm getting a 16 gb card..I don't want them messing it up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Who knows

6. NiCK Crush

NiCK Crush Well-Known Member

How would this matter? Aren't the sd cards just for added content? Not stuff that is already on the device... right?

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Haha I look at that tutorial alot too. It's like you have the EVO right in your hands.

8. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine they would have the boot up the phone. That would mean we'd miss out on the initial setup tutorial. I'm guessing they only need access to the codes under the battery cover.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm also going to ask them to leave the screen and camera plastic on the phone! :p

9. Aookay

Aookay Well-Known Member

My understanding is that they do have to open them up, and activate them, to avoid reselling. They don't have to set up your gmail account or do the tutorial unless you want them too. Hope that clears it up :)

10. Dutch54

Dutch54 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...checked the RS site..did a search for that setup tutorial...couldnt find it...got a clue for me?

11. Joneszee

Joneszee New Member

I'm sorry. What's the RS site?

12. NiCK Crush

NiCK Crush Well-Known Member

13. Matt351

Matt351 Active Member

I just went to BB to make sure everything was set up correctly for the 4th and the manager said they would activate the phones that morning in order to speed up the process. He said he'd call the night before to confirm that my phone would most likely not work after about 7 a.m. on the 4th. I don't know if I like that or not. I have a week to figure it out.

14. wase4711

wase4711 Well-Known Member

Are you guys really that Anal about a cell phone that you are worried about folks who activate phones all day every day messing up these?

I would prefer they get some of the work done before I come in to pick mine up; its gonna be a long, slow process as it is, so if they can do something to help speed it up, I am all for it. When they ask you if you want them to set up google or anything else, just tell them no thank you, you want to set all that up yourself, but make sure the phone works before you leave the store...
    Remember, the phone is warrantied, so, if some thing goes wrong the first 30 days, you get a new one anyways..
    Its not life or death, its just a cell phone..

15. Covert_Death

no offense but have you ever been the first to have someone activate your new phone? they like to play around like it is theirs for half an hour. they play with the widgets look at all the features, and as far as im concerned it's my phone, all they technically have to do to activate it on your line is scan the bar code for ESN number on the box and open your line. that should be it, i don't want the guy playing with my phone so bad where i have to do a factory reset before i even use it

16. Roman G.

Roman G. No-Posting Probation

Exactly.... I am not worried about someone screwing my phone up, I just want to be the first one to stroke it, not some zitty punk kid.

17. hopalee

hopalee Well-Known Member

Yeah, so what?! I'm paying $200 for it and I don't want some moron who doesn't give 2 shits about taking care of the thing touching it before me. When I got my Pre last year the guy kept dropping it on the counter and I wanted to bitch slap him. When I got my 1st replacement Pre, the guy dropped it on the floor right in front of me and said it was fine so I wasn't getting a different one. THAT is why I don't want anyone else touching the phone in addition to the fact that (like I said) I'm paying $200 for it, it's mine, I want it, I don't want some jerk screwing it up before it's even in my hands.

Covert_Death likes this.
  18. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

tough titty said the kitty. we have to turn them on. dont like it? dont buy it. how about you try and show just a bit of appreciation to those that have to get up and deal with lines out the door. especially when half the people that we deal with on a day to day basis dont know crap about smart phones. congrats if your boy genius.

whos gonna be the first person you come to when you get home and your phone isnt working right?

19. KiLo11

KiLo11 Well-Known Member

appreciation?
    its their damn job
    if they dont like that then tough they can go work somewhere else

fr4nk1yn and hopalee like this.
  20. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

your right... it is our job to turn your device on and handle it first.. hope who ever does yours just got done eating a greasy cheese burger. WAD:D

Edit. oh and by the way. i pre ordered mine and will be activating it myself so.. ya only my hands shall touch :p

21. KiLo11

KiLo11 Well-Known Member

how professional
    luckily for me i wont be buying thru the noobs at bestbuy

22. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

He is from radio shack. The worst thing is that I can tell just by the attitude.

Here is how you get them not to touch it. Tell them that you are in a hurry you grandmother just died while in a professional weight lifting event.

When they try to open explain that it is also a gift for a friend. You are only getting it because of the premier status, and due to your grandmothers death, you need to hurry.

OR

You can wait until they open the box and just get grabby. Take the phone and turn it on yourself. They do not need the phone for any reason, due makes sure the number on the handset is then number on the box.
    They will need to scan the bar inside the phone behind the battery.

But you can hold it while they scan it. Just make sure they know you are in a hurry, poor grandmother.

Covert_Death and hopalee like this.
  23. Covert_Death

somebody is in a damn bad attitude, and when my phone isn't working, i'll either,
    A. chew best buy out for screwing it up
    or
    B. i know how to work a damn phone so i'll fix it myself, i know more crap about computers than the geek squad agents that can barely install windows... thank you very much, but i am VERY capable of setting a phone up myself.

24. DaytonaZ33

DaytonaZ33 Well-Known Member

You people really shouldn't be so ignorant and rude. I work at Best Buy Mobile, and if you would really prefer to activate it yourself, just kindly explain that to your associate. No need to be condescending or anything like that.

PS. Don't assume you always know more than the associate your working with, every now and then you'll run into one (like me) that does in fact know more than you do. So lets knock the elitism off shall we?

wase4711 likes this.
  25. SteveChiller

SteveChiller Well-Known Member

you all sound like a fun bunch to be around.