Best Way to Backup Data Before Installing New Roms

Last Updated:

1. eulerphi8

eulerphi8 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm wondering about the best way to backup apps and data before installing new roms since it usually involves a full system+data wipe. Right now I use Titanium Backup and then restore all user apps when I have the new rom loaded. While this works pretty well, I still have to go back and change all my settings, set up my accounts, etc. Shouldn't there be some way to preserve this data? Also very frustrating is that I have to readd all my widgets in Launcherpro. Any way to get a real backup of that too? The process isn't too bad right now, but as more and more roms come for the droid x, I'd rather not have to repeat the setup process every time. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can have all of your widgets placed automatically but I may be wrong.

3. eulerphi8

Thanks for your reply, but that doesn't backup account information/system settings does it? I do the TiBack step already, but preferably there could be some way to backup login credentials for google/facebook/twitter/etc. as well as wifi setting and such. This is one area where apple's itunes syncing actually made quite a lot of sense since you could theoretically wipe your phone and do a full restore from your backup data on your computer.

4. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

Your not gonna get any help around here talking like that, lol.

5. jdk33

jdk33 Well-Known Member

You should be able to make a full snapshot of your running ROM including user apps, system settings, etc in clockwork recovery using the nandroid backup method.

The method you're using in TiBackup only restores user apps and their settings. And Launcher Pro doesn't support backing up widgets, so if the nandroid method doesn't work you're on your own.

6. eulerphi8

Haha woah woah let's not misquote me here :D. I simply said I liked how itunes kept a full backup of the phone that could be easily restored.

Each platform has its strengths/weaknesses, but I'm definitely much happier with android and it's openness (minus the locked bootloader) than apple's closed-garden approach.

I don't have much experience with nandroid and haven't fiddled much with the advanced restore options. Is there a way to restore data from a full backup without restoring the actual system, i.e. say I update to a new rom, can I use a backup from an old rom and restore only the data from that rom??? Would that defeat the purpose of a full wipe of system+data?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

7. BuTbKa

BuTbKa Well-Known Member

Nandroid back up, then advanced restore "data". You'll get back all widgets, home screen layout, custom settings, etc

kensdavid likes this.
  8. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

I haven't found a good method yet. Doing the nandroid advanced system restores has left system apps unusable, so then I have to do a data wipe anyways and either re-install from scratch or from Ti-Backup. Launcher pro will save your homescreen configuration except for widgets. Google backs up your contacts. But I have to re-assign all personalized ringers, re-enter all passwords etc every time I end up changing roms and needing to do a data wipe (So Far every time this has been the solution).