Best way to charge battery outside of phone without external charger?

Last Updated:

1. eisawi99

eisawi99 Well-Known Member

so far ive been trying to charge my battery outside of my phone without an external charger and the only good way ive found is very painful... basically what i do is use a cut usb cable and connect the red wire to the positive and the black to negative... but i have to hold it in place with my thumb and it burns me... bad. so please help. btw ive tried electrical tape but it wont stay in place. is there any way i could make a makeshift charger with a cut usb cable?

Advertisement
  2. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

I believe your best bet would be just to get an external charger. They have all sorts of them on Amazon, for example, that are really reasonable.

I'm afraid you are going to either hurt yourself, worse than the burns, or short out your equipment. :(

Neither one of them would be a good thing! :)
    TheBritton likes this.
  3. Codegerm

Codegerm Well-Known Member

Wow that is an incredibly bad idea! Li-ion batteries just can't be hooked to voltage like that for charging. They require a smart charger (your phone handles that). You are lucky not to have blown up the battery or have a total meltdown..
    dustwun77 likes this.
  4. eisawi99

yeah believe me i know... its incredibly stupid but i need my phone and i only do it for like 10 minutes and then i rest it and then i charge and then i rest and then i charge etc etc
  5. Codegerm

Why can't you just charge it in the phone?
  6. t.burninator

t.burninator Well-Known Member

I thought this was some kind of joke when I read the title. Now I've read the thread and I still can't tell.

Tell us why you can't use an external charger either?
    dustwun77 and TheBritton like this.
  7. trialnerror

trialnerror Well-Known Member

This thread just Made My Day. I would have held the wires in place with my tounge. "trialnerror", right?
    Do you have a Bestbuy or Radioshack nearby?
  8. eisawi99

im pretty broke... ive really got no money for an external charger... this isnt a joke
  9. oamilcar

oamilcar Well-Known Member Contributor

You can get a usb sync charger of ebay for as low as $3 dollars.
  10. eisawi99

believe me... ive got no money at all... i try to use what i can and i cant charge through the phone itself because the battery is messed up
  11. Codegerm

That sucks. I do see them on ebay for like 22 dollars
  12. eisawi99

people i am broke lol i cant buy one... i just was looking for a way to keep the wires in place without burning my self
  13. oamilcar

I heard you lol. I'm just posting the link for codeg... to see the $3 one
  14. kevindroid

kevindroid Well-Known Member

try clothes pins
  15. eisawi99

what do you mean??? how would i use clothes pins?
  16. oamilcar

17. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

You're literally playing with a potential fire.

When batteries ignite they don't burn like a Zippo, they jet a flame like a blowtorch.
    LilBit likes this.
  18. eisawi99

yeah believe me i know... and im also a pyromaniac... but thats besides the point. theres not enough voltage on an xbox usb port to ignite a battery
  19. FLAWLESSVW

FLAWLESSVW Well-Known Member

Subscribed haha. Say we all chip in fifty cents and get the poor guy a charger for God's sake.
    LilBit likes this.
  20. Codegerm

Agreed, and preferably before his fingers catch fire.
    apnsb and LilBit like this.
  21. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

OMG!!! eisawi?? Be carefull!!