• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best way to deal with bloatware

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (16GB) and have, finally, run into the "not enough storage" problem when I try to add another app.

I know that there are lots of apps on the phone that Samsung thinks I need, but, I could live without and getting rid of those would free up enough space for my other stuff.

Is the only way to deal with this to root the phone, which would enable me to remove the unwanted apps?

If I do this then what is the situation for future updates of Android - will they attempt to re-install all the (cr)apps I've removed or will the update just fail?

Or, is the best plan to root and install a custom-ROM and not bother about OTA updates?

Thanks

Welcome to Android Forums!

I'll move this to our Samsung Galaxy S4 sub-forum, as the best people to advise you are other owners of the device in question.

In general, rooting an otherwise-stock ROM shouldn't prevent you receiving further updates, although you may well have to re-root afterwards. My Samsung experience is all pre-Knox though, so the situation may be different now. That's why I'm deferring to the experts. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones