Best way to find free WiFi Hotspots?

Last Updated:

1. trissybabes

trissybabes New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone,

Am pretty new to the world of Android / HTC Hero and smartphones in general and was just wondering if anyone has any hints for the best way to search for free WiFi hotspots?

Are there any decent apps out there to do this - or is there a shortcut way to find them through the phone?

Any help gratefully appreciated...

Cheers,

Tris

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Well, I don't know of any app that catalogues free wifi spots, as it were. You could use a WiFi scanner app (which will display details of any wifi network in range), but that's not very handy; you have to be right on top of it already.

Best advice I can give is just.... keep an eye out. Libraries, cafes, schools/university (if you're a student there) and so on are all good places to find free WiFi.

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Check out "Wifi Tracker" from the Market, Tris. It will log hotspots to various file formats that can be imported into e.g. Google Maps.

trissybabes likes this.
  4. trissybabes

trissybabes New Member This Topic's Starter

Cheers for that Slug - sounds ideal. Still trying to get around the app market, seems like a lot of apps out there that do similar things but never quite what I am looking for. This place is an absolute essential for noobs like me!

5. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

You're very welcome. Search the Market for "wifi tracker"; the app will show as the first result.