• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to get an Inc

droidsmurf

Feb 15, 2010
I've decided to upgrade from my Eris to the Inc using my wife's available upgrade. It seems to be a pretty inexpensive way to get a decent smartphone that should carry me for awhile. Any thoughts on the best place to get one? Seems like the Verizon stores are not carrying it anymore. Best Buy has it for $99. Pretty good pricing from Costo or Sams Club ($40-50) but they want me to upgrade the second line to Data/Web (wife just has standard flip phone). Will it be a big hassle to buy the Inc online using my wife's line and then activate it on mine when it arrives? Thanks for any suggestions.

IDK about other online retailers but don't use Wirefly for you needs. If you buy a phone from them it MUST stay active on the line its purchased on for 6 months or you'll be charged the full price for the phone. I really don't know about other companies. But you should always read the small print before you buy!!!

It is true that any changes that could cause the carrier to report a deactivation to us will be a violation of our terms and conditions that you agreed to when you purchased the phones. They state:

Wirefly promises you savings in the form of instant discounts with no rebates or gimmicks when you sign up for wireless carrier service. Delivering on this promise means that you must agree to maintain your agreement for a minimum of 6 months after activation. Deactivating your phone, or downgrading features or the rate plan, may lead to additional charges.
To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from Wirefly.
By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Please note some of the reasons your wireless carrier may notify us of a deactivation include if:
  • You transfer this equipment to another carrier line of service after it is activated
  • You change your rate plan to a lower monthly service rate than was specifically required at the point of purchase
  • You deactivate texting/data features that were specifically required at the point of purchase
  • The new line of service activated with your order is used to replace a pre-existing account
You can read the terms and conditions on our website at: http://www.wirefly.com/about/purchaseterms

Upvote 0
So, it seems that since I plan to get a smartphone and currently my wife's line does not have a data plan, the prices I see from various 3rd parties (i.e. wirefly, amazon, costco, sams club, etc.) are lower since they assume I'm adding the dataplan. So if I transfer the new smartphone to my line and then cancel the new dataplan charge on my wife's line, I could incur new charges. Is that about right?

Upvote 0
It is my understanding that any smartphone activated with Verizon will require some sort of data planm, regardless of where you buy it. That is what I have run into with my daughters. They love the fact that my Inc has no text limit and they have to dump their texts after 100 or something like that. I make them cope since I am not going to pay extra for the data lol.

Upvote 0
So, it seems that since I plan to get a smartphone and currently my wife's line does not have a data plan, the prices I see from various 3rd parties (i.e. wirefly, amazon, costco, sams club, etc.) are lower since they assume I'm adding the dataplan. So if I transfer the new smartphone to my line and then cancel the new dataplan charge on my wife's line, I could incur new charges. Is that about right?

That is right. If you will be using your wife's line to upgrade and get a new smartphone and then take that phone and activate it on your line, removing the data feature from your wife's line, this will incur the Instant Savings Discount fee for breaking the Terms of Purchase, which can be viewed here Wirefly terms and conditions including our equipment discount policy.

Upvote 0
I've got a slightly used one(2month) for sale! $150 plus shipping, pm me if interested.

I would buy this guy's phone as $150 for a Dinc is a great deal (at least around where I live) and avoid signing another 2-year contract. You can then grab something else a year from now if you want -- say a TB or something else... Just my .02, but I'm done signing 2 year contracts. I'm just going to wait 9 months to a year and buy used...

Just a thought since you are considering buying an EOL phone anyway...

Upvote 0
question for you inc owners, my eris which I really liked after rooting and installing the xtrsense rom finally developed the dreaded trackball defect and is pretty useless while charging because of the trackball issue. I called VZ since I am paying for the extended warranty and they said no prob that they would send me a replacement. I asked if I could get the inc instead because of the trackball issue. They checked and said yes but I would have to buy the back cover ($20) and battery ($40) since all their replacements came without those. In addition I would need charger ($30), so total cost of $90 for the replacement inc. I could upgrade to TB for $149 for 2 yr but told them I was only interested in 1 yr which would then be $219. So the inc for $90 and no new contract or the TB for $219 and 1 yr contract? The TB seems to have some issues with the battery which they say will get software update but I have heard the inc battery was not that great as well. Of course I want to be able to root either phone, has the xtrsense worked for those that have used that rom on their inc?

The 4G is probably not as big a deal for me as I do most of my web surfing on wifi at home or office, more so than on the road...

would love any thoughts here to inc or TB...thanks

Upvote 0
question for you inc owners, my eris which I really liked after rooting and installing the xtrsense rom finally developed the dreaded trackball defect and is pretty useless while charging because of the trackball issue. I called VZ since I am paying for the extended warranty and they said no prob that they would send me a replacement. I asked if I could get the inc instead because of the trackball issue. They checked and said yes but I would have to buy the back cover ($20) and battery ($40) since all their replacements came without those. In addition I would need charger ($30), so total cost of $90 for the replacement inc. I could upgrade to TB for $149 for 2 yr but told them I was only interested in 1 yr which would then be $219. So the inc for $90 and no new contract or the TB for $219 and 1 yr contract? The TB seems to have some issues with the battery which they say will get software update but I have heard the inc battery was not that great as well. Of course I want to be able to root either phone, has the xtrsense worked for those that have used that rom on their inc?

The 4G is probably not as big a deal for me as I do most of my web surfing on wifi at home or office, more so than on the road...

would love any thoughts here to inc or TB...thanks

I would get the Incredible, and buy a charger, battery and cover from 3rd parties/ebay. Actually you wouldn't even need to buy a new charger, all you would need is a mini-to-micro usb adapter plug for each of your chargers.

Upvote 0
I may be worng, but I believe you can use the Eris battery in the Incredible. The eris battery is 1500 while stock Incredible is 1300 so you actually get a better battery than stock anyway.

Also, for under $15 you can go to Amazon and get the cable and wall adapter if you dont want to get converter.

Upvote 0
I may be worng, but I believe you can use the Eris battery in the Incredible. The eris battery is 1500 while stock Incredible is 1300 so you actually get a better battery than stock anyway.

Also, for under $15 you can go to Amazon and get the cable and wall adapter if you dont want to get converter.

that's interesting, wonder why they didn't tell me just to use the eris battery for inc which they would send to me and send the eris back without the battery...

Upvote 0
that's interesting, wonder why they didn't tell me just to use the eris battery for inc which they would send to me and send the eris back without the battery...

I bought 2 1500 eris batteries for my Inc and they worked although VZW told me they couldnt guarantee it wouldnt mess up my phone.

I dont use them anymore because I now have an extra stock battery.

Upvote 0
I know some people who are selling the upgrades on their phone on Craigslist for $400 or so. The process is simple, so I have heard....

1. Guy pays you for an upgrade.
2. Use your upgrade credit and get the phone
3. When your phone comes in, reactivate your old one.
4. Give phone to the guy who paid you for the upgrade.
5. ???
6. Profit!

All these things being said, I would buy a used incredible. The Incredible 2 and other nicer phones are coming out. Don't use your upgrade on this phone. Buy used, then use your upgrade on a top of the line phone that comes out later.

Upvote 0
I bought 2 1500 eris batteries for my Inc and they worked although VZW told me they couldnt guarantee it wouldnt mess up my phone.

I dont use them anymore because I now have an extra stock battery.

Eris and Inc batteries are 100% the same thing minus the red cover, and both are 1300. The 1500 you're thinking of is the Evo battery. Regardless OP, you can run the battery in the Inc. Do you live in a 4G city? If so, I'd pay the $219 and get the TB while LTE is still unlimited.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones