1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to get videos onto Nexus 7?General

Last Updated:

1. cloudstrife548

cloudstrife548 New Member

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and after having a good look round I cant find the best way to transfer videos to the Nexus 7. I have tried rippping dvds using handbrake but when i try to play them on the tablet they wont play properly - they play with a stuttering and blocky picture and stuttering sound.

Is this a problem with the handbrake settings I have selected? If so what are the optimum settings? Or do I need to de-crypt the dvd first? What is the best way to do this?

I have bough my girlfiriend the Nexus 7 for our honeymoon in 2 weeks and was hoping to put a couple of films on it for when i give it to her!

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Advertisement
  2. CoreyV

CoreyV Well-Known Member

Do they play cleanly on a PC? If so, then it's probably codec/player related.

If you haven't tried it, download Mx Player (free) - people have lots of success with it.
    jscottm likes this.
  3. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

Yeah, Handbrake has its limits. There are many positive reviews on AF for DVD Catalyst (tools4movies.com). Try the trial version and see if you like it. When I tried it, I couldn't get it to work, but I've been ,meaning to go back and give it another shot. Now they have added a Nexus 7 setting, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  4. harleyrider77

harleyrider77 New Member

I tried several formats last night - .mp4 format works perfectly - just connected the N7 to PC and copied the *.mp4 to the Movies folder. I could not get the following formats to work properly: .mpg, .mpeg, .avi - I haven't tried .wmv yet. HTH :)
    francojs likes this.
  5. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Considering the wmv stands for Windows Media Video, don't hold your breath.
  6. idic

idic Well-Known Member

.wmv is fine with MX Player, which will play just about anything you throw at it and is a massive improvement on the stock video player.

Use DVD Catalyst - you won't regret it. Email the dev if you have any issues, he responds very quickly to problems.

Plex is great for streaming media over a network or over 3G too.
  7. kaki4125

kaki4125 New Member

Nexus 7 supported Music Format: AAC, FLAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, Vorbis, AMR-WB. AMR-NB
    Nexus 7 supported video format: H.263, H.264 AVC, MPEG-4, VP8
    jscottm likes this.
  8. confuzedbot

confuzedbot New Member

thanks

9. confuzedbot

confuzedbot New Member

:confused: so where do you copy the mp4 to please answer asap
    :):rolleyes::D;):eek::(:confused::mad::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb:
  10. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member

I have mine in a folder called Movies, though could only hold 7-8 videos on my 16gb N7. (Used DVD Catalyst to convert to MP4 and VPlayer app on the N7) I also have a 32gb USB drive, OTG cable and Nexus Media Importer app for holding extra videos.
  11. mistertonmick

mistertonmick Member

I use Nero recode on laptop to convert to MPEG4,then copy to nexus via USB.
  12. Jon Davis

Jon Davis Well-Known Member

One thing not to take on your honeymoon... A Nexus 7.
  13. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Second and triple the sentiment: DVD Catalyst works brilliantly. In combinations with AnyDVD (for blurays), it will rip anything into almost any format for viewing on most devices. As mentioned above, the dev is super responsive and will guide you through config and usage. I've been using the program since I got one of the first Xoom Wifi tablets a couple years ago. Solid software.