Best way to install .apk files in EpicSupport

Last Updated:

1. Brian2071

Brian2071 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is the best (easiest) way to install an .apk file on the Epic? I took Gary's offer for a free "paid version" of the xScope browser to all Android Forum users but have never tried to install an apk file before.

Any help would be great.

BTW...Anyone wanting a copy just email Gary at xscopebrowser@gmail.com
    Thanks

Advertisement
  2. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

I use "ASTRO File Manager" from the Market & it works perfectly.
    Also, make sure from the homescreen to go to menu-applications-settings & check "Unknown Sources" to allow the installation of non-market apps.
    Here's the link: http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.metago.astro

3. Brian2071

Sorry but I'm a total noob to the Android platform. I am looking for a step by step guide to do this - if there is one out there. I downloaded Astro so I got that far. From this point on I'm lost.

Are there any how-to's for this or can it be explained a little more in depth.

Thanks

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Source of said offer?

Please respond and let me know or this will be assumed to be illegal distribution of apps.

5. Brian2071

Illegal? Did you read the post? It was from the developer. He has it posted on your forum more than once. Free to any Android Forum user.

I have his email address posted...email him and ask.

6. Kelmar

Do you have anywhere other than YOUR words that say that he is giving this away for free (anywhere on the forums even)? I do not know who the developer is so I cannot even begin to search for the said posts.

You have to understand that anyone can open a gmail account and say that they are giving away the app for free.... It all comes down to liability for the forums. If AF allows the app to distributed, it needs to know that it is LEGALLY being done.

I, for one, do NOT want AF to be closed because over a lawsuit of illegally distributed apps.

Please PM me if proof (anywhere) can be provided about this. The developer PM'ing me would suffice.

Until then, thread closed and links removed.

7. Kelmar

Verification has been confirmed per THIS THREAD.

Thread reopened

Thank you for your understanding of the matter at hand. :)

OP - To answer your original question, I use "appsinstaller" from the market.

8. Bmerz

Bmerz Well-Known Member

Thank you for reopening this, not so much because of the link the OP provided, but I am also curious how to install these links/apk files? I've heard of AppInstaller, but how does this app tie into a link I download from appbrain (for example)?

Much like the OP, I am also a noob - and so far have barely figured out how to get apps from the market - which is the easiest route. So I am hopeing someone will post a step-by-step instructions, on how to DL apps that are not within the market.

Thank you. :)

9. Kelmar

I rarely use appbrain, but I'm pretty sure you need the appbrain app from the market and you when you open the appbrain app it'll open the market for you so you can DL the said apps.

In this situation, there are a few EASY ways.

• You can email them to yourself and download them through the BROWSER. When it's done downloading, click on it to install it.
    • - OR -
    • Download to your computer and drop it onto your SD card. Use a file manager or "appsinstaller" from the market to install it.
    • - OR - .....

10. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

Here ya go, hope this helps:
    YouTube - How to install .apk files on Android

soulbrutha202 and Brian2071 like this.
  11. Brian2071

12. Bmerz

Bmerz Well-Known Member

Thx you Kelmar & Yaboid! Saving this page! :)

13. Brian2071

Yeah, but that was after I got thrown against the wall, searched and had to prove that I was innocent and not passing illegal software. :D

It's all good though. I know they have to protect their website.

14. Kelmar

Hey now! At least you understand :)

On a side note, what is "great" about xscope? I, obviously, had never even heard of it.

15. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

I use Dropbox. Just drag and drop apk's into the Dropbox folder on the desktop, and it instantly shows up on my Epic. One click and it's installed.

16. luvjones305

luvjones305 Active Member

Were can i get sprint apk apps for my samsung epic 4g i just install a new rom but i want 2 sprint apps back on sprint navigation and sprint hotspot thanks.

17. cruiser771

cruiser771 Well-Known Member

easiest way for me to install an apk is to put the apk on the sd card root (i.e. not in any folders) and open appinstaller. it see's the apk's and you select which one you want to install (if there are multiple apk's) and a few seconds later, its installed. then delete the apk off the sd card.

as for this browser, what does it do better than the stock browser? i have to check this out, dont really like the way the stock browser operates

18. m4f1050

m4f1050 Member

Just a quick note on this subject....

Some Android phones will let you download an .APK file and after the download if you click it, it will access the file and give you the option to Install, but sadly on the Epic you can't do that, it gives an extension not valid. Any way of fixing this issue? I am guessing it's the download manager the Epic has...? I'm sure there has to be a way or a hack to change one of the existing extensions to .apk and let it run? I work on phones all the time and sometimes I don't have ADB drivers for a phone and the Epic I had to download drivers to install via ADB but this is not the case sometimes I am stuck having to download the app and install it and I don't want to add my google account to the phone if it isn't mine...

19. fnordsnafu

fnordsnafu Member