• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to manage running applications?

CZSteve

Jun 9, 2010
I seem to have way too many applications running...
Under Setting > Applications > Manage Applications > Running tab - I have many apps running: Juice Defender, PVWmdrmProxy, Mail, Calender, Google Services, Google Play, Qik Video, Voicemail, com.smithmicro.dm, Sprint Connections, Maps, and a couple others.

I've stopped a few apps but they are always back when I go in to look.
Heading to a trade show for a few days and want as much battery life as I can: Only NEED phone, e-mail, voice mail, text, maps & directions, and internet for the most part.

I have Juice Defender (free version). I've not ventrured past the standard 'Balanced' profile that was the default setting. Just changed profile to 'Aggesive' to see what effect that has.

- Is Juice Defender my best bet? Setting suggestions? Better app or way?

Phone: HTC Evo 4G Running Android 2.3.5

Thanks,
Steve

I'm not a fan of Juice Defender at all. I would uninstall it and just carefully setup the phone. Pay attention to sync settings, turn off Bluetooth when not needed, etc.

Don't worry about processes listed as running. They are not necessarily active and using resources. DO NOT use any task killer or memory optimizer. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

See:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/andro...ed-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them
...for a full explanation.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0

Reactions: nicka3200
Upvote 0
There are plenty of threads about task killers & Juice Defender type apps. Basically you don't need either.

Android manages RAM by itself. It keeps some apps running in the background because they need to run all the time. Others are kept running for a while, in case you want to go back to them, & they will be right there without waiting for them to load. If the system needs more RAM it will close apps not needed. If you keep manually closing apps you are just wasting capacity as it takes longer to reload. There is some discussion here.

I found Juice Defender just increases CPU activity which wastes as much battery as the app saves elsewhere. No doubt others will disagree

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Thanks all.

Another question:
I have short-cut buttons to turn on/off my 4G, GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi on one of my screens.
I've noticed that my Wi-Fi & 4G will randomly turn on or off all the time. What's the story with that?

Wifi:
Go to settings>wireless & networks>wifi settings. Press menu>advanced>wifi sleep policy & select "never". That should keep your wifi on.

4G might cycle as available networks change.

Upvote 0
Thanks all.

Another question:
I have short-cut buttons to turn on/off my 4G, GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi on one of my screens.
I've noticed that my Wi-Fi & 4G will randomly turn on or off all the time. What's the story with that?

It could be JuiceDefender enabling them when your screen is turned on. Takes a few seconds. I used JD with mixed results. Now just letting Android deal with it. If my battery seems to be dying faster than usual, I reboot the phone but that doesn't happen very often.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones