• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best way to return to stock?

It is with much regret that I am getting rid of my Droid X. I really love the phone, but it's time for a Thunderbolt ;). However, I am selling the phone on eBay and need to return the phone back to the stock ROM and unroot. I saw one thread on this in the past and it wasn't really very informative. I looked in the sticky about SBF, but I wasn't sure which method was the best really. I did not back up my stock ROM (that I know of at least), and therefore need to find one to flash.

I assume that once I find a stock ROM and a method to flash it, I can use Z4 to unroot the phone. From there it should just take a factory reset and I'll be done. Anybody here know the best way to go about finding a stock ROM?

It is with much regret that I am getting rid of my Droid X. I really love the phone, but it's time for a Thunderbolt ;). However, I am selling the phone on eBay and need to return the phone back to the stock ROM and unroot. I saw one thread on this in the past and it wasn't really very informative. I looked in the sticky about SBF, but I wasn't sure which method was the best really. I did not back up my stock ROM (that I know of at least), and therefore need to find one to flash.

I assume that once I find a stock ROM and a method to flash it, I can use Z4 to unroot the phone. From there it should just take a factory reset and I'll be done. Anybody here know the best way to go about finding a stock ROM?
if you are still rooted and have bootstrapp installed just install this file in clockwork recovery ,,,,wipe data while installing it and your x will be as if it came out of the box
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

Upvote 0
if you are still rooted and have bootstrapp installed just install this file in clockwork recovery ,,,,wipe data while installing it and your x will be as if it came out of the box
maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

So I install the maderstock on the SD card... I am with you there.

But when I go to bootstrapper what do I do? "Bootstrap Recovery" or "Reboot Recovery"?

Upvote 0
OK guys, I'm bringing this one back from the dead due to having an issue with the process that was outlined above. I applied the .zip file from the SD card, went to reboot and I'm caught in a boot loop. I get to the part of the boot process where the red eye comes up and it keeps going between that and the Droid X logo. From there, it won't proceed. I tried a battery pull and got nothing.

What can I do? Am I stuck with a brick now?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones