• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to sell an Android phone?

Should I listed it as 100% original or should I listed it rooted, unlocked and offer a custom ROM?
Which option sells for the highest dollar? The phone is an HTC for AT&T and was made about a year ago. Don't want to mention the model, so folks don't think I'm trying to use the forum to sell it.

I personally think its best to list the phone as it currently is, then offer to reset it back to factory stock, or install a custom ROM based on the buyers desires. This is just my opinion though.

Also there's no problem with posting a phone for sale on the forums, in fact we have a classified section specifically for that purpose here. It's no cost to list it here, and could be another option to use to find a buyer for the phone.

Upvote 0
Swappa, that looks like a cool website. Thanks for the tip.
I can't seem to figure a way to sell anything without first having a facebook account though. Not sure how I feel about giving them access to my facebook info.

I listed on ebay though, like I usually do.

As a fellow austinite, i've always had luck selling my phones very quickly using austin craigslist. People tend to drop their phones in toilets or in the lake every day, so I almost always have sold my old phones within a day if the price is competitive with ebay selling prices.

Its best to sell your phone factory reset and unrooted. Keep in mind sprint cannot reprogram the phone unless its stock. Theres no point (except laziness) in keeping it rooted because its going to have to go back to stock to get sprint to program it, anyway.

Upvote 0
Should I listed it as 100% original or should I listed it rooted, unlocked and offer a custom ROM?
Which option sells for the highest dollar? The phone is an HTC for AT&T and was made about a year ago. Don't want to mention the model, so folks don't think I'm trying to use the forum to sell it.

If I look at it at a buyer's perspective and I wanted to get a used android phone I wouldn't get a rooted one because god knows what the previous owner has done with the phone, and I'd like rooting it myself so I know what changes has been made to the phone. So as a buyer I'd get a phone non-rooted/modded stock phone, if I were you I'd flash the stock rom and then sell it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones