Best way to travel to Europe

Last Updated:

1. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am traveling to Germany for 3 weeks in November and sadly my Droid won't do me much good there. Does anyone have advice on the best way to stay connected in Europe, when you only own a CDMA phone?

Advertisement
  2. johnrigu

johnrigu Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sorry I couldn't resist.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

take the phone, put it in Airplane mode and just try to jump on wifi networks you find.

BTW, isn't the point of getting away.. getting away :)

4. john30308

john30308 Well-Known Member

Besides my Droid, I have an iPod Touch that I travel with (games,etc.) and have used Skype on WiFi at hotels and cafes in Europe (France, Italy, Greece). It works extremely well. I noticed that this week a new Skype was released for Droid that works on WiFi (the previous one didn't) but it seems that it works on WiFi only in the US. I see that Fring also released a new Droid app that might work on WiFi overseas. If you can get either of them to work, you're in business. Skype calls to US phones from Europe are in the pennies/minute.

5. ratman6161

ratman6161 Member

Well, for voice, you could just get a cheap throw away when you get there.

6. sradner

sradner Member

My experience with my CDMA Droid in Europe (UK in my case) has been terrible. Open wifi access points are hard to find, so you might need to pay to join one of the bigger networks. Hotels often charge extra for wifi. The GPS won't lock, I believe this is a limitation on the chips which use cell towers to start the search sequence, but I haven't really researched it. My Droid turned into a nice MP3 player and I was able to pass the time on my flights with a few games. I suppose with wifi in your hotel and a VOIP app you could use it for nightly check-in calls.

My solution is a prepaid little T-Mobile phone I picked up in the UK for 20 pounds with half that being applied as talk time. The little phone holds a charge forever and the calls back to the US ended up costing about 50 cents a minute, in country was maybe 25 a minute. I looked into buying something GSM in the US, but the prepaid phones generally won't roam onto EU networks (despite what quite a few ATT & T-Mobile sales people told me). I don't talk much and it works out fine. I also bring my trusty Garmin along for navigation.

Stinks to drag around three devices to do what my Droid does great in the US. Ahh, maybe the pro for xmas. Cheers and enjoy your trip.

7. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

8. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

You could use Google Voice on your Droid while you are there. Phone calls through your Gmail account.