• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best way to upgrade from Neophytes 1.6 to 1.8

You should just be able to just install the rom using rom manager over the existing rom, if theyre the same version of android. All that changes is the OS. Apps and data remain. You only need to wipe if you experience issues after doing this.

If that fails, you can do a wipe and restore with titanium but I dont have much luck with titanium myself.

Reactions: vistauser
Upvote 0
I need some help please.

I have tried installing Neophytes 1.8, however I am having problems...

In the reboot screen I get the following
ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

I downloaded the rom from the xda-devlopers site.

The steps I took in rom manager ( V2.0.2.3) were
I select "Install rom from SD card"
Select rom from list, and press OK
Leave "Backup existing rom" and "wipe data and cache" unchecked and select OK
At the press OK to reboot dialog, press ok

I have three directories on my SD card (when using astro), asec, sdcard and secrure. I have placed the rom in the sdcard directory, I am assuming this is the root.

The software info for my phone:-
Android version 2.2
Baseband version 32.43.00.32U_5.09.00.20
Kernal version 2.6.32.15-g1fc4045 htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Build number 2.06.832.1 CL207528 test-keys
Software number NeoPhyte ROM 1.6 sense FroYo FRF91
Browser version Webkit 3.1

Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
Sorry but this post will be no help. I just thought its odd it states signature verification failed because ROM manager doesn't require your ROMs to be signed.

Does the phone sill boot to 1.6? If not, boot into recovery and see if you can restore. Can you open the 1.8 zip file successfully on your computer (to ensure there is no corruption)?

Try putting the rom back on the card and try again?

Reactions: vistauser
Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply Dan.

Yes the phone still boots into 1.6, so at least still have a working phone.

I have successfully opened the zip file on my computer, and can browse the contents in winzip. I have also been able to open the zip file in astro (on my phone), and again I am able to browse the contents of the zip file.

I have re-downloaded the zip, and copied across, that didnt work either.

I am now going to try and install it without rom manager...will keep you posted. :)

Upvote 0
I thought they were :) Had a quick read on the xda site, and quite a few people had 3g problems. You have to re-enter your settings. So got them from the vodafone website. Problem solved, phone seems to be fully working now.

Thanks for all the input.

Just wonder why rom mananger didnt work.

Edit - just noticed that rom manager has an update outstanding...wonder if that will sort out the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones