1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Best way to utilize Dropbox?General

1. thaKing

thaKing Well-Known Member

I'm a dropbox user looking for the best way to incorporate this into my S3 (and most likely my N7 as well). The way I understand DB, it actually synchronizes and puts a "copy" of the files on each machine linked in the account (each PC, phone, tablet). I have 50GB of DB storage (not utilizing it all, but it is available). I clearly cannot put 50GB of data on the S3 (and definitely not on the N7).

So what is the best way to incorporate DB with the S3? Should I just select one folder in my DB account (as opposed to the entire 50GB) and limit the amount of files I put in there so that the synch will be small enough to fit on the S3 (and the N7)? Thoughts?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

It does not put the files on the phone when you sign into your Dropbox account in the app. It only lets you see what is there and if you want to download something you can do that.
    thaKing likes this.
  3. thaKing

Ahh! That's great then, so I can actually have access to everything (on the S3 and N7) and only download the file(s) I need.
  4. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

Yep, that's one good thing about Dropbox. I also use it to share files. Your files on Dropbox have links associated with them. You send the link to the person you are sharing this file instead of sending the actual file.

Some people use dropbox to post their screen shots on this forum using the URL link associated with the file.
  5. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Well-Known Member

Just remember to 'download' what you need if you know you're going to be offline, i.e. out of a network range or WIFI range :)
  6. Covart

Covart Well-Known Member

If you do want to autosync files between devices (i.e. put a file on your phone in a specific folder and it will show up on you tablet or other phone)

Dropsync is the name of the app
  7. thaKing

I'll take a look, but I'm thinking I may skip this feature for now since I have lots of stuff on DB.
  8. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

+1
  9. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

With Dropsync, you can specify a folder that you want to keep synchronized (if you pay, you can have multiple folders). I set up one folder with files that I want synchronized and the rest of it doesn't get synced.
    thaKing likes this.
  10. thaKing

Ok, Ok, you've convinced me! ;)
  11. psyjohn

psyjohn Active Member

Don't forget to set dropbox on your phone to automatically upload the pictures you take. Never worry about backing them up or transferring them to your computer again.
  12. tithrimimi

tithrimimi Member

I started using that feature as its handy to be able to access photos from S3 to N7
  13. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

In the dropbox app on the phone, if you make a file a favourite (with a star) then that file will be synced if the file is updated.