• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Weather App 2012

What is the best weather app for 2012? In short, there's not one! Each have their pros and cons. Try them all out and see which one you prefer. Here's my breakdown on some of the most popular ones...

The Weather Channel

A very good app with a lot of information. The temperature readings were fairly accurate, the radar was ok, and the alerts worked really well. It contains a ton of information that may or may not be useful to you. It pulls from the National Weather Service (as do they all) as well as local stations (such as airports or schools). The one problem I had was the advertisements. I wish there was a paid version. TWC has the best alert system/features.

Weather Bug Elite

Almost identical to TWC, just has a different skin. The location finder seemed to be slightly more accurate and I liked the UI better than TWC. The radar seemed to be better than the rest, but the one "flaw" I found was temperature readings. It would sometimes be off by as much as 10 degrees vs. the local stations on TV. This may have been fixed with updates as I have not used it in a few weeks. While it does have alerts, you can't pick and choose them like you can with TWC. I could care less about fog alerts or whether it was going to be hazy.

Accuweather Platinum

It started off nice, but then I found its major drawback: location accuracy. On any given time/day, while sitting at my house, it would tell me I was in one of five different cities/towns. The temperature readings were very accurate, the radar seemed to be ok, but it does not show precipitation chance as a % (the others do). I also noticed that it did not auto update the weather until you actually opened the app. Bleh.

I have tried others as well (Go Weather, Underground, etc), but these "Big 3" were the ones I was the most impressed with outside of their individual drawbacks. YMMV.

I use Weatherbug Elite, but missed the maps from Unisys.

Found this:
Downloaded an app called Quick Weather. It has a connection to the Weather Underground's standard maps which you can't get in mobile form. All data maps are there. You can also choose Weatherbug and NWS.

I can get the map with Fronts, jet stream, precip, wind - and all animate. You can't get this from a mobile version. I tried Weather Underground's Android app, and no maps available.

This is all available on the NWS standard web site. Nothing for mobile. I'm tired of arguing with websites if I want a standard site and not mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones